About this course
This course is part of the Leadership in Global Development MicroMasters program. In order to get the most out of this course, we recommend that you have experience working in the development sector or a strong interest in this area. We also recommend that you complete the other three courses that make up the Leadership in Global Development MicroMasters program: Leaders in Global Development, Adaptive Leadership in Development, and Critical Development Perspectives.
This course introduces the origin and key concepts of sustainability and how to apply those to sustainable development practice.
Sustainable development will be explored through theories and case studies from a range of disciplines, and a particular focus will be on how the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) interrelate in practice. You also will learn about planetary boundaries, urbanisation and growing inequality, to show how integral sustainable development is to our everyday existence.
This course will attempt to provide key content knowledge to bridge the science and the practice of the application and enhancement of sustainable development. The course draws on contemporary examples to address the world’s most urgent challenges, with emphasis on the linkages between science and policy.
What you'll learn
- To be aware of the current international policy landscape for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- To understand the practice and policy of sustainable pathways to development
- To appreciate some of the scientific underpinnings of sustainable development practice and how policy-makers are trying to apply it for better governance of scarce resources
- To apply relevant aspects of the science and policies of sustainable development to your own practice as a development leader
- To understand how various attributes of sustainability (environmental, economic and social) can be applied by development practitioners and other stakeholders
- To gain scientific knowledge regarding planetary boundaries processes and their influence on international economic development
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain $270.00
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
-- Solange, Rwanda.
Who can take this course?
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this course: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this course in all locations. EdX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.