About this courseSkip About this course
Information Security is everywhere: as the world becomes more and more digitized, so it becomes more and more hackable. Cyber attacks, data breaches, and even cyber warfare are all very real - so it's infinitely important to understand how hackers think and act, and how you can fight back.
In this course, which is the second part of the Unlocking Information Security program, you will turn your attention to the Internet: you'll start by learning about the inherent vulnerabilities lurking in the multiple layers of the Internet's protocol stack and then meet the first line of internet defenses. Next, you'll take an in-depth look at the modern cryptographic concepts that are at the core of internet security and discover the mathematical miracle that makes them possible.
With all this in mind, you will take a deep survey of the world wide web; understand the various technologies behind websites, how web servers and web browsers interact, how they can be attacked, and how they should be defended. Finally, you will learn about viruses, worms and trojans: what they are, how they spread, hide and attack, and the arms-race between them and the anti-virus industry.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- An introduction to the typical Internet protocol stack vulnerabilities, including IP Spoofing, TCP Injections, and DDoS, and useful defenses against them like NAT Boxes and Firewalls
- An in-depth look at the cryptographic concepts and techniques that make up the security infrastructure of the Internet: Diffie-Hellman Key Exchange, RSA Public-Key Cryptography, Digital Signatures and MAC
- A survey of the world wide web's security concerns (SQL Injections, CSRF, and XSS): is the Internet ultimately vulnerable or is there a silver lining?
- An introduction to the world of malware: viruses, worms, Trojans and more - computer viruses and how to beat them
Meet your instructors
Course created with support from
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$149 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
- Very high quality class. Help to understand complex problems in a very clear way. Videos are short, very clear and straight to the point. Relevant real world examples are provided for each security concept or attack. The supplementary material at the end of each chapter is very helpful to dig further.
- I was able to understand everything and complete all the exercises, and had fun doing so. I have no idea if there are many companies working with infosec where I am (Brazil) but this was so enjoyable that I now dream of some day working in the field... Thank you!
- Very useful and simple to understand course. It gives the information about security techniques, networks and viruses, cryptography etc. It was highly interesting as well. Thanks for excellent lessons!
Who can take this course?
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this course: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this course in all locations. EdX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.