About this courseSkip About this course
This course provides an enriched understanding of what you can do as a parent, carer, or community member to support and nurture the educational and career aspirations of young people.
Underpinned by an extensive program of educational research conducted by leading experts, we delve into the crucial, decision-making period when young people's ideas about their post-school futures form and become entrenched.
Across the four weeks, we'll look at why aspirations are important, explore trends in children's aspirations for different educational and career pathways, break down key factors that influence aspirations, and consider the powerful role of everyday conversations and experiences in shaping the way young people imagine their futuresand engage in decision-making.
You will gain confidence in understanding and actively supporting and equipping young people, in terms of both your knowledge of post-school pathways and practical tools to help them navigate toward desired pathways.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- The difference between aspirations and expectations
- Key terminology for talking about aspirations
- The educational and occupational aspirations of more than 12,000 students across primary and secondary school
- Perceptions of higher education and vocational education held by young people
- The way aspirations are shaped by factors such as academic achievement, socio-economic status, Indigeneity, gender, rurality, and first-in-family status
- The role of parents, families, schools, and communities in the complex period of aspiration formation
- Practical tools to help you nurture and support the aspirations of young people
Week 1. What are aspirations and why are aspirations important?
Week 2. An overview of the educational and career aspirations of young people
Week 3. Factors that influence aspiration formation
Week 4. The powerful role of parents, families, schools, and communities in shaping aspirations
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$49 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
"I highly recommend 'When I Grow Up: Supporting Children's Aspirations' to every parent it is very informative and will be a valuable tool to help your child."
- Past SCA101x Student