Biobased Products for a Sustainable (Bio)economy
Sobre este cursoOmitir Sobre este curso
Have you everasked what “biobased” means or wondered about the key aspects in developing and commercializing biobased products? This course will answer those questions and more; highlighting the opportunities, hurdles, and driving forces of the bioeconomy.
Today’s industries face enormousglobal challenges when it comes to the fossil-based economy. Fossil resources are no longer a desirable feedstock for many products and governments’ climate goals put various limitations to its usage. Moreover, consumer perception has become an increasingly important factor.With biobased products as an alternative to the fossil-based economy, the bioeconomycan provide viable solutions to these challenges.
The course describes the different types of biomass, the methods of refinery and typical conversion technologies used for biobased products. You'll also engage in astudy of the practical and real-life examples emerging in the market: biopolymers, bioenergy, bioflavours, and biosurfactants.
The course has been developed by a team of experts from seven different institutions and universities in three different countries,all sharing their personal perspectives on the opportunities and challenges faced by the biobased industry. The three top-ranked institutions Delft University of Technology, RWTH Aachen University, and Wageningen University & Research offer additional, more advanced courses to continue your learning journey:
- Industrial Biotechnology: a more advanced course that digs deeper into engineering aspects of bio-based products.
- MicroMasters Chemistry and Technology for Sustainability: Help drive the transition from fossil sources to renewable energy ones and engineer a biobased future.
- Sustainable Development: The Water-Energy-Food Nexus: Introduction to sustainable development and its relation to the Water-Energy-Food Nexus.
Curso creado con el apoyo de
De un vistazo
- Instituciones DelftXRWTHxDelftXRWTHx
- Tema: Biología y ciencias humanas
- Nivel: Introductory
Basic knowledge of a natural science like biology
- Idioma: English
- Transcripción de video: English
- Associated skills:Biotechnology, Sustainable Development, Refinery Experience, Chemistry, Sustainability
Lo que aprenderásOmitir Lo que aprenderás
- How to judge the opportunities for biobased resources as alternative feedstocks compared to fossil resources
- The challenges and opportunities of the bioeconomyand the basic elements of the value chain
- Real life examples of biobased products of the bioeconomy, such as biosurfactants, bioflavours,bioenergy,and biopolymers
- How biobased products are produced
- The key issuesthat must be overcome for the commercialization of such products
Plan de estudiosOmitir Plan de estudios
Week 1: Understand the need for sustainable innovation and how biorefinery, bioconversion, and biobased production can contribute to this.
Week 2: Introduction to the worlds of chemo- and biocatalysis, protein engineering and fermentation.
Weeks 3-6: Biobased products – learn about the production and commercialization of bioenergy, biopolymers, biosurfactants, and bioflavours in each of the four weeks featuring real-life examples.
Week 7: Hear personal perspectives on the development of the biobased economy from the teachers of this course.