Sobre este curso
Today’s industries face enormous global challenges when it comes to the fossil-based economy. Fossil resources are no longer a desirable feedstock for many products and governments’ climate goals put various limitations to its usage. Moreover, consumer perception has become an increasingly important factor. With biobased products as an alternative to the fossil-based economy, the bioeconomy can provide viable solutions to these challenges.
The course describes the different types of biomass, the methods of refinery and typical conversion technologies used for biobased products. You'll also engage in a study of the practical and real-life examples emerging in the market: biopolymers, bioenergy, bioflavours, and biosurfactants.
The course has been developed by a team of experts from seven different institutions and universities in three different countries, all sharing their personal perspectives on the opportunities and challenges faced by the biobased industry. The three top-ranked institutions Delft University of Technology, RWTH Aachen University, and Wageningen University & Research offer additional, more advanced courses to continue your learning journey:
- Industrial Biotechnology: a more advanced course that digs deeper into engineering aspects of bio-based products.
- MicroMasters Chemistry and Technology for Sustainability: Help drive the transition from fossil sources to renewable energy ones and engineer a biobased future.
- Sustainable Development: The Water-Energy-Food Nexus: Introduction to sustainable development and its relation to the Water-Energy-Food Nexus.
Lo que aprenderás
- How to judge the opportunities for biobased resources as alternative feedstocks compared to fossil resources
- The challenges and opportunities of the bioeconomy and the basic elements of the value chain
- Real life examples of biobased products of the bioeconomy, such as biosurfactants, bioflavours, bioenergy, and biopolymers
- How biobased products are produced
- The key issues that must be overcome for the commercialization of such products
Week 2: Introduction to the worlds of chemo- and biocatalysis, protein engineering and fermentation.
Weeks 3-6: Biobased products – learn about the production and commercialization of bioenergy, biopolymers, biosurfactants, and bioflavours in each of the four weeks featuring real-life examples.
Week 7: Hear personal perspectives on the development of the biobased economy from the teachers of this course.
Conoce a tus instructores
Obtén un Certificado Verificado para destacar los conocimientos y las habilidades que adquieras $50.00
Oficial y verificado
Obtén un certificado con la firma del instructor y el logotipo de la institución para demostrar tus logros y aumentar las posibilidades de conseguir trabajo
Fácil de compartir
Agrega el certificado a tu currículum o publícalo directamente en LinkedIn
El certificado te da un motivo más para completar el curso
Apoya nuestra labor
edX, una organización sin fines de lucro, se sustenta con los certificados verificados para financiar la educación gratuita para todo el mundo