Calculus 1A: Differentiation
Sobre este cursoOmitir Sobre este curso
How does the final velocity on a zip line change when the starting point is raised or lowered by a matter of centimeters? What is the accuracy of a GPS position measurement? How fast should an airplane travel to minimize fuel consumption? The answers to all of these questions involve the derivative.
But what is the derivative? You will learn its mathematical notation, physical meaning, geometric interpretation, and be able to move fluently between these representations of the derivative. You will discover how to differentiate any function you can think up, and develop a powerful intuition to be able to sketch the graph of many functions. You will make linear and quadratic approximations of functions to simplify computations and gain intuition for system behavior. You will learn to maximize and minimize functions to optimize properties like cost, efficiency, energy, and power.
The three modules in this series are being offered as an XSeries on edX. Please visit Single Variable Calculus XSeries Program Page to learn more and to enroll in the modules.
This course was funded in part by the Wertheimer Fund.
*Advanced Placement and AP are registered trademarks of the College Board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, these offerings.
De un vistazo
Lo que aprenderásOmitir Lo que aprenderás
- How to evaluate limits graphically and numerically
- The physical meaning, and geometric interpretation of the derivative
- To calculate the derivative of any function
- To sketch many functions by hand
- To make linear and quadratic approximations of functions
- To apply derivatives to maximize and minimize functions and find related rates
Plan de estudiosOmitir Plan de estudios
- Limit Laws
- Intermediate Value Theorem
- Introducing the Derivative
- Rules for differentiation of all known functions
Applications of Differentiation
- Curve Sketching
- Related Rates