Design of Sanitary Sewer Systems
Sobre este cursoOmitir Sobre este curso
Proper design of sanitary sewer systems is essential for managing the collection and disposal of wastewaters and thereby maintaining a healthy community.
In this course, we will:
- Learn to classify flows in open channels, use Manning equation to calculate normal depth, plot specific energy diagrams, and calculate critical depth. Concepts of gradually varied flow, water surface profiles, and hydraulic jump will be presented.
- Study the different sources of wastewater, variation of flow over time, types of drainage systems, design considerations for sanitary sewers. A project at the end of the course will provide hands-on experience in designing a sanitary sewer system by gravity flow over a study area.
De un vistazo
Lo que aprenderásOmitir Lo que aprenderás
- Compute gradually varied flow profiles over a channel reach.
- Calculate wastewater flows
- Analyze and design small sanitary sewer systems
- Identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems
Plan de estudiosOmitir Plan de estudios
Week 1: Open channel definitions, uniform flow, normal depths, critical depths, chokes
Week 2: Gradually varied flows, flow profiles, direct step method, hydraulic jump.
Week 3: Wastewater flow sources, computation of flow rates
Week 4: Peaking factors, steps for gravity sewer design, regulations
Week 5: Sanitary sewer design by gravity flow.