Sobre este cursoOmitir Sobre este curso
Learn from a dynamic team of 25 dental practitioners and researchers across 10 dental specialties from around the world led by HKU’s Professor Jukka P. Matinlinna and Dr James K.H. Tsoi. In this 4-Week-4-Module course, Digital Biomaterials, you will not only learn the special properties of novel biomaterials in oral health care, but you will be introduced to the crucial and dramatic roles of digital dentistry in contemporary oral health care.
New technology development and breakthroughs in biomaterials research have transformed oral health care. The discoveries of the special properties of biomaterials such as titanium, zirconia and various polymeric composite materials have led to the rapid development of more versatile, durable and safe materials, offering oral health care that meet patients’ treatment needs and aesthetic restorative results. In recent years, advancement in digital dentistry such as CAD/CAM technology in crown fabrication, 3D printing, artificial intelligence, stereophotogrammetry and digital orthodontics have greatly impacted many aspects of oral health care, in particular, oral and maxillofacial surgery, implant dentistry and regenerative medicine.
Oral biomaterials research today is an exciting and intensive multidisciplinary area that encompasses contributions from a wide range of fields from clinical dentistry to biology, chemistry, physics, material science, and engineering. We cordially invite those of you who wish to make a difference in tomorrow’s dental materials and oral health development to join us in the exciting journey in Digital Biomaterials.
Lo que aprenderásOmitir Lo que aprenderás
The course Digital Biomaterials compiles four modules introducing the most cutting-edge digital and computer technologies in dentistry including big data, artificial intelligence (AI), and digital workflow that support clinical dental diagnostics, and enhance the efficiency of fabricating durable dental restorations. Learners will also be introduced to the properties of the most commonly used dental materials such as titanium, various ceramics and composite biomaterials.. Furthermore, adhesion of dissimilar materials to tooth structures will also be explained.
The learning objectives of the four modules in Digital Biomaterials are as follows:
- Define what digital dentistry is and what it includes.
- Examine the clinical implications of dental imaging, 3D-stereophotogrammetry, intraoral scanner and cone-beam computerized tomography (CBCT).
- Compare and contrast CAD/CAM with conventional techniques in dentistry.
- Understand the role of digital dentistry in areas of orthodontics, oral and maxillofacial surgery (OMFS).
- Examine commonly used digital techniques in dentistry such as impression taking, shade matching, radiography, and 3D printing.
- Appreciate the role of digital technology in shaping the future of dentistry .
- Understand the basic science behind applications of titanium in dentistry and what matters on the titanium surface.
- Appraise the special properties and implications of ceramics in dental materials.
- Learn the surface treatment methods of zirconia.
- Compare and contrast the advantages and shortcomings of zirconia against titanium.
- Understand the clinical purpose, principles and techniques to treat surfaces (grit blasting and acid-etching).
- Understand the applications of silicon and related compounds in dentistry.
- Identify and list computer technologies used in dentistry.
- Describe the digital workflow in dental applications.
- Discuss the computer technologies applied in the field of digital orthodontics.
- Apprehend and justify the use of big data and artificial intelligence technology in dentistry - is it the future of dentistry?
- Understand the design and chemistry of fibre-reinforced composite materials.
- Compare and contrast fibre-reinforced composites with conventional biomaterials.
- Define and classify the whole spectrum of dental cements.
- Examine the properties, chemistry and applications of tricalcium silicate-based cements in endodontology.
- Appraise the compositions, indications and applications of dentin bonding materials and systems.
Conoce a tus instructores
Obtén un Certificado Verificado para destacar los conocimientos y las habilidades que adquieras$149 USD
Oficial y verificado
Obtén un certificado con la firma del instructor y el logotipo de la institución para demostrar tus logros y aumentar las posibilidades de conseguir trabajo
Fácil de compartir
Agrega el certificado a tu currículum o publícalo directamente en LinkedIn
El certificado te da un motivo más para completar el curso
Apoya nuestra labor
edX, una organización sin fines de lucro, se sustenta con los certificados verificados para financiar la educación gratuita para todo el mundo