Sobre este cursoOmitir Sobre este curso
The course is comprised of recorded lectures. Dr. Agnes Callamard, the Director of Columbia Global Freedom of Expression and the UN Special Rapporteur on Extrajudicial, Summary or Arbitrary Executions, who led the human rights investigation into the murder of Jamal Khashoggi, will deliver the lectures. Supplementary lectures by international experts will provide additional information on topics addressed by the main lectures or additional issues which could not be included in the core course. Students will be actively invited to consult the supplementary videos to strengthen their knowledge. Weekly readings will be assigned from classic philosophical works on the concept of freedom of expression, key texts of international human rights law, significant decisions of international and national courts, as well as relevant news stories and video clips. The course will provide access to case analyses from Columbia University's Global Case Law Database to illustrate the issues as well as for course assignments. Most readings will be freely available on the Internet.
This Advanced Course was preceded by a Foundational Course, which introduces the international system of protection for freedom of expression. Enrolling in the Foundational Course is recommended before undertaking this Advanced Course to those who are not familiar with international human rights law and freedom of expression issues.
Lo que aprenderásOmitir Lo que aprenderás
- The impact of the Information technology revolution on the exercise of, and the global standards related to, freedom of expression and information.
- The most recent legal and policy developments in response to challenges to freedom of expression and information, including those related to security, religion and technology.
Plan de estudiosOmitir Plan de estudios
- Introduction and Overview
- Freedom of Expression on-Line
- Intermediary Liability
- Censorship by proxy and other implications
- Are Bloggers Journalists?
- The Liability of Search Engines
- The Right To Be Forgotten
- Surveillance within and Across Borders
- Incitement and Hate Speech: Article 20 of the ICCPR
- Incitement and Hate Speech: International Comparison
- Regional and Domestic Implementation of the Prohibition of Incitement
- National Security and Speech: International Standards
- Counter-Terrorism and Freedom of Expression
- Countering Incitement and Hate Speech
- Defamation (1): The Basics
- Defamation (2): Digital Speech
- Privacy Online
- Violence against Expression
- Protection of Journalists and HRDs
Conoce a tus instructores
Obtén un Certificado Verificado para destacar los conocimientos y las habilidades que adquieras$45 USD
Oficial y verificado
Obtén un certificado con la firma del instructor y el logotipo de la institución para demostrar tus logros y aumentar las posibilidades de conseguir trabajo
Fácil de compartir
Agrega el certificado a tu currículum o publícalo directamente en LinkedIn
El certificado te da un motivo más para completar el curso
Apoya nuestra labor
edX, una organización sin fines de lucro, se sustenta con los certificados verificados para financiar la educación gratuita para todo el mundo