Hay una sesión disponible:
Fundamentals of Sociology
Sobre este cursoOmitir Sobre este curso
This course is an introduction to the study of human social behavior, social groups, and society. The course emphasizes the basic concepts and theories found in the discipline of sociology. The course will compare and contrast different theories as well as look at different processes of socialization.
De un vistazo
Lo que aprenderásOmitir Lo que aprenderás
- The student will compare and contrast the basic assumptions found in functionalist theory, conflict theory, and symbolic interactionism theory.
- The student will critique the advantages and disadvantages inherent in the most prominent research design methods employed by sociologists.
- The student will explain the connection between culture and the process of socialization.
- The student will discriminate between social interaction and social structure.
- The student will assess the nature of the family as a social institution from the functionalist theoretical perspective, the conflict theoretical perspective, and the symbolic interactionist theoretical perspective.
- The student will explain the difference between primary groups and secondary groups.
- The student will assess important implications derived from social divisions based on race/ethnicity, social class, gender, and age.
- The student will explain how historic social upheavals have resulted in significant social change.