Sobre este cursoOmitir Sobre este curso
This introductory course, delivered by Ieading academics from Imperial College London, with technical input and contributions from the National Energy Renewable Lab (Golden, Colorado), will discuss what challenges variable output renewables pose to the achievability of a reliable, stable electricity system, how these challenges can be addressed and at what costs. Its overall objective is to demonstrate that there is already a range of established technologies, policies and operating procedures to achieve a flexible, stable, reliable electricity system with a high penetration of renewables such as wind and solar.
The course uses a variety of country and context-specific examples to demonstrate the concepts. Policy makers, regulators, grid operators and investors in renewable electricity will benefit from a solid understanding of these considerations, thereby helping them drive forward the development of a fit-for-purpose clean power system in their own regional context.
Lo que aprenderásOmitir Lo que aprenderás
- Explain how electricity systems have traditionally operated with baseload and load-following conventional generators
- Introduce and explain the basic operational characteristics of the main types of electricity generation technologies, including fossil fuel, nuclear and renewables
- Describe how electricity system operations change when there are increasing penetrations of variable renewables
- Discuss the technologies, measures and operating practices at our disposal to cost-effectively incorporate and manage high penetrations of variable renewables
- Consider how the operation of electricity systems may change in the future, with changes in electricity demand patterns and the emergence of new technologies
- Understand how different countries are managing the integration of variable renewables into their electricity systems.
Plan de estudiosOmitir Plan de estudios
- How do electricity systems work? An introduction
- How do different types of electricity generation technology work?
- How are electricity systems affected by increased penetrations of variable renewables?
- Options for managing increased penetrations of variable renewables
- What might the future hold?
- Policies and incentives to overcome barriers
Obtén un Certificado Verificado para destacar los conocimientos y las habilidades que adquieras$49 USD
Oficial y verificado
Obtén un certificado con la firma del instructor y el logotipo de la institución para demostrar tus logros y aumentar las posibilidades de conseguir trabajo
Fácil de compartir
Agrega el certificado a tu currículum o publícalo directamente en LinkedIn
El certificado te da un motivo más para completar el curso
Apoya nuestra labor
edX, una organización sin fines de lucro, se sustenta con los certificados verificados para financiar la educación gratuita para todo el mundo