Sobre este curso
Did you know that you can track some sharks’ movements on Twitter? Or that the scales on their skin have influenced the way humans design boats, planes, and even swim suits? Or that sharks have more senses than humans?
In this biology course, you will learn how scientists study sharks. You will join researchers on location in labs, aquariums, and oceans across the globe to learn about the biodiversity, biology, and conservation of sharks, rays, and chimaeras.
In this activity‑rich course, you’ll track movements of a wild shark, observe shark habitats and behavior, and dig deep into the fossil record. You will also examine topics in the functional anatomy, sensory biology, reproduction, behavior, and ecology of many of the 1,200 living species.
Verified Certificate: In addition to the usual benefits, such as access to the graded exercises and the certificate, Verified learners will get additional materials released periodically over the four weeks of the course.
This is an exciting time to be a shark biologist. An explosion of new research methods and technologies are leading to a surprising world of discovery. We’ll introduce new, as well as traditional techniques, for classifying sharks, understanding behavior, and unraveling the mysteries of shark evolution. You’ll be invited to explore global shark populations and consider shark-human interactions and their impacts on history and culture.You’ll be rewarded by your ability to see virtually any animal with new eyes. Practice thinking like a biologist while honing critical skills that can lead to broader observations about the ongoing history of life on Earth.
Lo que aprenderás
- Habitats and distributions of sharks from around the world.
- Evolutionary history and relationships of sharks and allies.
- Functional anatomy of swimming, breathing, and eating.
- Aspects of sensory biology, reproduction, and behavior.
- Ecological roles of sharks.
- Historical and cultural aspects of shark-human interactions.
- The impacts of human behavior on shark populations.
- How biology can inform conservation efforts.
- Week 1: The Big Picture - Biodiversity and Evolution
- Week 2: Miracles of Evolution - Functional Morphology and Physiology
- Week 3: Thinking Like a Shark - Brains and Behavior
- Week 4: Sharks in the World - Human Interactions, Ecology, and Conservation
Conoce a tus instructores
Obtén un Certificado Verificado para destacar los conocimientos y las habilidades que adquieras $99.00
Oficial y verificado
Obtén un certificado con la firma del instructor y el logotipo de la institución para demostrar tus logros y aumentar las posibilidades de conseguir trabajo
Fácil de compartir
Agrega el certificado a tu currículum o publícalo directamente en LinkedIn
El certificado te da un motivo más para completar el curso
Apoya nuestra labor
edX, una organización sin fines de lucro, se sustenta con los certificados verificados para financiar la educación gratuita para todo el mundo