Sobre este cursoOmitir Sobre este curso
What exactly are genetically modified organisms (GMOs) and why do scientists develop them? Studying the science of GMOs helps us understand biotechnology’s potential role in addressing challenges in agriculture.
In this introductory Food and Nutrition course, you will learn the basics of genetic engineering, explore the political debate around the GMO and review the arguments for and against their use.
We will study the politics surrounding the GMO and its impact at both an individual level and to society as a whole; including the problems, perceptions, benefits, and risks associated with GMOs. Important to understanding the complexities around this topic we will not only be looking at the science behind how the GMO works, but also to the limitations of this science. We will also discuss the importance of information literacy as a tool for effectively identifying and evaluating issues.
Our goal is that this MOOC will impact people's understanding of science, what it can and can't do, and how information is transmitted. The intent is not to influence how people feel about GMOs, but to give them the critical thinking and scientific literacy tools necessary to make informed decisions — and to understand the broader impacts of those decisions.
Lo que aprenderásOmitir Lo que aprenderás
- Assess, understand and apply social science concepts as they affect the development and use of biotechnology products and processes
- Gain an understanding of how biotechnology intersects with globalization, trade, poverty, food security, and environmental sustainability
- Understand and evaluate research articles and research methods related to biotech crops
- Learn to formulate well-structured research questions, recognize appropriate research methods, and assess research reports
- Craft thoughtful and effective arguments, with supporting evidence at the intersection of science and social science on issues of public policy
Plan de estudiosOmitir Plan de estudios
- Week 1 - Introduction/Why GMOs
- Week 2 - Why not GMOs
- Week 3 - Contributions and Limits of Science
- Week 4 - Politics and Society
- Week 5 - GMOs and You
Conoce a tus instructores
Obtén un Certificado Verificado para destacar los conocimientos y las habilidades que adquieras$49 USD
Oficial y verificado
Obtén un certificado con la firma del instructor y el logotipo de la institución para demostrar tus logros y aumentar las posibilidades de conseguir trabajo
Fácil de compartir
Agrega el certificado a tu currículum o publícalo directamente en LinkedIn
El certificado te da un motivo más para completar el curso
Apoya nuestra labor
edX, una organización sin fines de lucro, se sustenta con los certificados verificados para financiar la educación gratuita para todo el mundo