Stand up for Science: Practical Approaches to Discussing Science that Matters
Sobre este cursoOmitir Sobre este curso
Everyone - non-scientists and scientists alike - has some form of expertise, but communicating across a gap in knowledge or experience is challenging. In this Teach-Out, we address this challenge by helping participants to develop core communication skills and more effectively communicate with one another.
Participants will learn why science communication is both essential and fundamentally challenging. Experts in three broad areas of public engagement with science - Policy & Advocacy, Education & Outreach, and Science in the Media - will weigh in to share their knowledge. Anyone with a STEM story to tell will have the opportunity to develop a better understanding of their audience, craft a clear message, weave a compelling story, and practice giving and receiving feedback on science communications. And all participants will be able to engage in a series of discussions addressing key issues in science communication.
Because the practice of science encourages dialogue, requires diverse perspectives, and has no political agenda, we hope this Teach-Out is a useful step in encouraging more science conversations between individuals and their local, national, and global communities.
De un vistazo
Lo que aprenderásOmitir Lo que aprenderás
- Understand why science communication is both important and challenging
- Develop strategies to effectively bridge communications between public audiences and scientific researchers
- Understand expert perspectives on different areas of public engagement with science
- Shape a compelling, message-focused STEM narrative for a specific audience
- Discuss important issues in science communication with others