An edX Product Manager (PM) is responsible for developing portions of the roadmap in conjunction with other product managers, user experience designers, and engineers. A PM must establish relationships across the organization in order to develop a full picture of feature requirements and bring that intelligence back into the product management organization to help inform other efforts. PMs work closely with key customers to understand their needs and incorporate their feedback into planning activities. Finally, they work within product development teams to drive product deliverables and set the criteria for accepting features into the platform.
A Product Manager must develop a strong understanding of all edX products and services, even those areas of the platform or product offerings for which they are not directly responsible. A PM should understand market conditions, and work with the Marketing and Engineering teams to collect data across the application and use it in their decision-making. A PM should understand the competitive landscape of education and related technologies that make up the products and services ecosystem of our global learners.
CORE PM RESPONSIBILITIES:
As a Product Manager, first and foremost, you will define and execute on the edX roadmap. Additionally, as the product owner of one or more development teams, you will define the engineering backlog, create product definition, examine tradeoffs, and manage risks when committing to quarterly work. Finally, you will spend significant time talking to and meeting directly with instructors and learners to best understand emerging product needs.
You will partner with Marketing, Engineering, and User Experience team members to quarterly product plans and committed deliverables are properly defined, well understood, and both timely and tractable as product deliverables. You will own the prioritization of all features and functionality for your portion of the roadmap, and will work with other product managers to make tradeoffs across functional areas to best meet overall business needs.
As a Product Manager, you will establish and maintain healthy working relationships with edX customers – course teams, instructors, students, contributors, and many others. You will treat all members of the edX and Open edX communities with deference and respect, listening and acknowledging feature requests while still retaining control over product direction.
User Base Growth and Retention
As a Product Manager, you will develop new features and continuously improve existing functionality in order to retain and grow the base of instructors and learners. You will set reasonable goals for growth and will be jointly accountable for achieving them with your cross-functional team.
- 5-7 years of product management experience
- BA or BS degree in education, engineering, marketing, business, social or hard sciences, or related fields
- Candidates with MBA, MEd, MS, or other Masters degrees preferred
- Proven track record driving product deliverables, especially in education, engineering, technology or related fields
- Experience creating product plans, use cases, user stories, acceptance criteria and other artifacts related to Agile development methodologies
- Excellent cross-group collaboration skills, including conflict resolution and negotiation skills
- Ability to work in rapid development cycles
- High level of technical expertise especially in Web technologies
- A passion for data-driven processes
- Willingness to learn and develop with a commitment to continuous improvement
If you are interested in this position, please send an email to email@example.com.
Due to the high level of interest in working at edX, we are unable to contact all applicants personally. If your background matches our hiring needs a recruiter or hiring manager will contact you directly.
Applicants must be able to work out of our Cambridge, MA office. Sorry, Visa sponsorship is not available.