edX is looking for engineers who can contribute to its Open Source learning platform. We are a small team with a startup, lean culture, committed to building open-source software that scales and dramatically changes the face of education. Our ideal candidates are hands on developers who understand how to build scalable, service based systems, preferably in Python and have a proven track record of bringing their ideas to market. We are looking for engineers with all levels of experience, but you must be a proven leader and outstanding developer to work at edX.
There are a number of projects for which we are recruiting engineers:
Learning Management System: We are developing an Open Source Standard that allows for the creation of instructional plug-ins and assessments in our platform. You must have a deep interest in semantics of learning, and able to build services at scale.
Forums: We are building our own Forums software because we believe that education requires a forums platform capable of supporting learning communities. We are analytics driven. The ideal Forums candidates are focused on metrics and key performance indicators, understand how to build on top of a service based architecture and are wedded to quick iterations and user feedback.
Analytics: We are looking for a platform engineer who has deep MongoDB or no SQL database experience. Our data infrastructure needs to scale to multiple terabytes. Researchers from Harvard, MIT, Berkeley and edX Universities will use our analytics platform to research and examine the fundamentals of learning. The analytics engineer will be responsible for both building out an analytics platform and a pub-sub and real-time pipeline processing architecture. Together they will allow researchers, students and Professors access to never before seen analytics.
Course Development Authoring Tools: We are committed to making it easy for Professors to develop and publish their courses online. So we are building the tools that allow them to readily convert their vision to an online course ready for thousands of students.
- Real-world experience with Python or other dynamic development languages.
- You must be committed to an agile development practices, in Scrum or Kanban
- Demonstrated skills in building Service based architecture
- Test Driven Development
- Committed to Documentation best practices so your code can be consumed in an open source environment
- Contributor to or consumer of Open Source Frameworks
- BS in Computer Science from top-tier institution. But we're all about education, so let us know how you gained what you need to succeed in this role: projects after completing 6.00x or CS50x, Xbox cheevos, on-line guilds led, large scale innovations championed.
- Acknowledged by peers as a technology leader
If you are interested in this position, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to the high level of interest in working at edX, we are unable to contact all applicants personally. If your background matches our hiring needs a recruiter or hiring manager will contact you directly.
Applicants must be able to work out of our Cambridge, MA office. Sorry, Visa sponsorship is not available.