The System Reliability Engineers (SREs) at edX help develop and maintain the infrastructure in AWS for all services and systems required to run the edX website. We're seeking a capable systems administrator who is unafraid of scripting languages and development to build out tools in order to improve the functionality of the platform. The SRE team primarily focuses on the provisioning, configuration, and deployment of services at edX. If you have a passion for automation and constant improvement then we want to hear from you.
Our production environment is hosted in AWS on servers running Ubuntu Linux.
In addition to the primary task of building infrastructure the SRE team supports the developers in a variety of other contexts, including helping with desktop development environments if required.
We participate in on-call and emergency support and there will be occasional out of normal hours work required.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with developers and staff to maintain and improve the infrastructure of EdX.
- Assist where needed with other technical support tasks to support the fast moving pace of EdX.
- Rapidly diagnose and resolve faults with organization-wide servers and services, and communicate to users as appropriate.
- Help the open-edx community who are standing up the edX platform and make contributions to our open-source code.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or computer science (or equivalent experience) and 3 or more years of systems administration, preferably in an academic setting.
- Must have an excellent working knowledge of Linux both as an end-user and as an administrator.
- Must be adept in programming/scripting languages (Python preferred).
- Must be familiar with a configuration management system such as Ansible, Puppet, Chef.
- Must have experience running web applications in a production environment.
- Must have excellent personal interaction skills as the position requires interfacing with a wide range of people up to board level.
- Ideally possesses experience with some of the following technologies: nginx, mysql, mongodb, django environments, splunk, git.
If you are interested in this position, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to the high level of interest in working at edX, we are unable to contact all applicants personally. If your background matches our hiring needs a recruiter or hiring manager will contact you directly.
Applicants must be able to work out of our Cambridge, MA office. Sorry, Visa sponsorship is not available.