There is one session available:
About this courseSkip About this course
In this course, you will learn about 5G deployment. The course is designed with a hands-on approach to help learners understand various important aspects of 5G relevant to 5G deployment, including 5G Radio Access Network (RAN) Virtualisation, network slicing, and Multi-Access Edge Computing (MEC) for disaggregated core.
The course will also explore 5G deployment challenges and private 5G deployment aspects in Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) settings, including sectors such as mining and healthcare. The aim of this course is to equip learners with industry-specific advanced skills in 5G.
The course is designed by an academic team from Curtin University that has extensive teaching experience and a successful track record of development of various MOOC courses, including the Micromasters Program in Internet of Things (with over a quarter of a million learners) and the Professional Certificate Program in Software Defined Networking (SDN).
At a glance
- Language: English
- Video Transcript: English
- Associated programs:
- Professional Certificate in 5G Networking
- Associated skills:Teaching, Radio Access Networks, 5G Technology, Software Defined Networking (SDN), Industrial Internet Of Things (IIoT), Internet Of Things (IoT), Edge Computing
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
After completing this course, you will be able to:
• Understand 5G deployment challenges specifically related to massive MIMO, mmwave, and other issues.
• Explore 5G Radio Access Network (RAN) Virtualisation.
• Explain 5G and Multi-Access Edge Computing (MEC) for disaggregated core.
• Explore 5G Network Orchestration.
• Outline 5G deployment for IIoT settings in various industries.
The course consists of an orientation module and six content modules. A learner is expected to spend at least 4-6 hours per week on each module.
Module 1 – Introduction to 5G Deployment
• Identify the key challenges of 5G deployment.
• Explain 5G deployment aspects related to massive MIMO, mmwave, and other issues.
Module 2 - 5G Radio
• Understand the propagation challenges associated with 5G radio frequencies.
• Explain the core concept of diversity and how it is used to maximise the efficiency of spectral utilisation in a multiple access scenario.
• Describe MIMO and beamforming capabilities and how beamforming enables spectral throughput efficiency.
Module 3 – 5G Radio Access Network Virtualisation
• Differentiate various 5G Radio Access Network (RAN) technologies.
• Describe how 5G RAN is virtualised, and its advantages.
• Execute a practical lab activity on 5G RAN Virtualisation.
Module 4 – 5G and Multi-Access Edge Computing for Disaggregated Core
• Explain the purpose, principles, and architecture for 5G Multi-Access Edge Computing (MEC).
• Execute a practical lab activity on 5G and MEC.
Module 5 – 5G Network Orchestration
• Explain different aspects of 5G network control and orchestration.
• Describe solutions to realise the orchestration of 5G networks.
• Execute a practical lab activity on 5G Network Orchestration.
Module 6 – 5G Deployment Case Studies
• Examine a 5G deployment case study on IIoT or 5G-enabled factory of the future.
• Examine a 5G deployment case study on private 5G for autonomous mining.
• Investigate a case study on the role of 5G in Collaborative-Intelligent Transportation Systems.
Module 7 – Course Summary
This conclusion module wraps up the course, summarising the content in the previous six modules.