About this courseSkip About this course
Follow leading specialists, researchers and teachers of Implant Dentistry from more than 10 countries around the world led by HKU's Implant Dentistry MOOC team to explore the biology, the technology and clinical management in implant dentistry today.
In this 5-Week-5-Module course, you will learn about what implant dentistry is all about, covering the comprehensive spectrum of successful implant practice. A key aim of this course is to help learners set the foundations for an effective and successful practice in implant dentistry, in particular practitioners who will soon begin their first steps in implant dentistry.
Learners will be exposed to a sound theoretical background and practical clinical work, learning through videos and activities that closely integrate academic knowledge from evidence-based research and surgical techniques based on best practices, providing a comprehensive and well-balanced view of the implant process.
Learners in the course will have the opportunity to follow authentic challenging patient cases and take active part in the decision making, discussing their treatment plans with fellow online peers, course mentors and instructors. Each week, learners can apply newly gained knowledge in implant dentistry to solve selected clinical cases of five authentic implant patients online.
It is the hope of the HKU Implant Dentistry course team that we help dental practitioners, dental students, medical professionals and those in related fields to understand the realistic challenges and potential in implant dentistry, and empower them to plot their own course towards a safe, effective and successful career serving patients with Implant Dentistry.
At a glance
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
After completing this course the learner will:
- Understand the fundamental biological principles of tissue integration
- Understand the evolution of Implant technology and the clinical implications
- Identify the key stages of patient examination, communication and risk assessment and prior to implant therapy
- Practice decision making as directed by the principles of comprehensive treatment planning in Implant Therapy
- Understand the main procedures, techniques, potential and limitations of modern implant surgery
- Understand the current techniques, procedures and decision making in implant prosthodontics.
- Identify and understand major threats and complications of implant therapy both in the short and long term
- Devise maintenance strategies to ensure successful and long serving treatments with dental implants
Learner testimonialsSkip Learner testimonials
“One gets a clear picture of what implant dentistry is all about - learners are engaged in the processes to diagnose, plan and treat patients as they interact with peers from around the world.”
“It's an outstanding course! The course compiles comprehensive evidence-base contents in addition to practical clinical skills and up-to-date techniques.”
“A MUST DO for every practitioner in an implant dentistry journey - from treatment planning to execution of clinical therapies and more.”
Frequently Asked QuestionsSkip Frequently Asked Questions
Who can join this course?
The course is specially designed to serve multiple groups of learners: From intermediate and experienced general dental practitioners who want to establish and deepen their knowledge in implant dentistry and advance towards implementing implant treatment and restorative procedures, to dental students and recent graduates who wish to gain understanding of implant dentistry and increase their competence in related practice.