- 30 Credit Hours
- Fully Online
- 1-4 years
*GRE scores are not required to apply to the program
With the Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering from Purdue's esteemed department of civil engineering, you will gain expertise with education in a cross-section of topics that meet your interests and provide you the skills needed to succeed in today's world. This online master's in civil engineering is designed for experienced professionals and for those beginning their careers. You will be able to balance your full-time job with your studies.
Our world-renowned faculty members will help you develop innovative thinking approaches to address practical complex problems. Throughout your online master's degree, you will be supported by a dedicated faculty advisor(s) and a team of professionals to help you succeed in online courses, plan and support your envisioned career path.
This fully online program enables future civil engineers and learners to take a deep dive into civil engineering with hands-on explorations of real case studies. Learners can choose from 3 interdisciplinary tracks.
- Sustainable Water (SW)
- Infrastructure, Resiliency and Sustainability (IRS)
- Smart Mobility (SM)
Specializations within this civil engineering program will expose graduate students to concepts in environmental engineering, hydraulic/hydrologic engineering, structural engineering, geotechnical engineering, construction engineering, transportation engineering, geomatics engineering, architectural engineering, earthquake engineering and materials engineering.
- #2Best Online Civil Engineering Graduate ProgramU.S. News & World Report, 2021
- #3Best Online Graduate Engineering ProgramsU.S. News & World Report, 2021
- #3Best Civil Engineering Undergraduate ProgramU.S. News & World Report, 2021
- #7Best Engineering SchoolU.S. News & World Report, 2021
Important dates & deadlines
*This date ensures consideration for the Spring 2022 start.
**Completed and submitted applications by this date will have potential Spring 2022 consideration if timeline permits; otherwise will have first consideration for the next semester start.
***This date ensures consideration for the Fall 2021 start.
****Completed and submitted applications by this date will have potential Fall 2021 consideration if timeline permits; otherwise will have first consideration for the next Spring start.
Three semesters of Calculus, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra.
Preferred undergraduate degree or background in Engineering, Physical Sciences or a related field. Other course prerequisites may apply, depending on classes you choose to enroll in.
A full Master’s program application includes the following:
- An undergraduate Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent from an accredited institution with a minimum GPA of 3.00
- Transcripts from all universities attended
- Statement of Purpose
- Professional Resume
- 3 Letters of Professional Recommendation
- TOEFL: Required for International Students. This requirement is waived for applicants who have received a baccalaureate degree or graduate or professional degree, within the last 36 months at the time of recommendation for admission, from a school where English is the primary language of instruction in a country/location where English is the native language.
- The GRE is required, however, we do not have a minimum required score.
- US Citizens and Permanent Residents are eligible for Federal Financial Aid. All federal financial aid benefits and restrictions apply to enrolled MS Civil Engineering students. Federal aid enrollment requirements apply.
- No. This program is a course-based self-funded Master’s program.
- This online degree provides an accredited degree: Master of Science in Civil Engineering (MSCE)
- Yes. Additional details can be found at: https://engineering.purdue.edu/CE/Academics/Graduate/Future/FAQ (question #8)
- Yes. This is the same degree and content that our on-campus students receive.
- TA and instructor help
- Project engineers; project managers; design engineer; CEOs of small to large companies.