What you will learn
- Apply methods, tools, and software for acquiring, managing/storing, and accessing structured and unstructured data
- Prepare data for statistical analysis, perform basic exploratory and descriptive analysis, and apply statistical techniques to analyze data
- Apply descriptive, predictive and prescriptive analytics to business modeling and decision-making
- Demonstrate orally, and in writing, the ability to explain complex analytical models and results
Columbia’s MicroMasters program in Business Analytics will empower learners with the skills, insights and understanding to improve business performance using data, statistical and quantitative analysis, and explanatory and predictive modelling to help make actionable decisions.
The curriculum is designed to provide learners with a series of courses that emphasizes the use of statistical analysis, computing tools, and mathematical models to predict the outcomes of various business decisions, and identify the best implementation.
These courses are instructional-led and each course has 10-12 weeks of lecture plus an additional final exam week. If you are interested in completing the full MicroMasters program on edX, there is no time limit in which you must complete all the courses in the program. Currently, the courses are offered twice a year, in the spring and fall term.
For those who are interested in applying for an M.S. degree at Columbia University, you must complete this MicroMasters program within 2 years of the start date of the first course in order to include MicroMasters certificate in your application package. For example, if you aim to apply for 2021 Fall M.S. program, you have to earn the MicroMasters Program certificate by 2021 February admission deadline.
Courses in this program
ColumbiaX's Business Analytics MicroMasters® Program
What is a MicroMasters Program?
MicroMasters programs are a series of graduate level courses from top universities designed to advance your career. MicroMasters program certificates showcase deep learning and in-demand skills to employers and can help you get started on a path toward completing an advanced degree.
How to Earn a MicroMasters Program Certificate
To earn the program certificate, learners must complete and successfully earn a verified certificate in all four MicroMasters program courses.
From Program Certificate to a Master’s Degree
MicroMasters programs are designed to offer learners a pathway to an advanced degree and can count as credit toward completing a Master’s degree program. Learners who successfully earn this MicroMasters program certificate may apply for admission to a Master’s program, and if accepted, the MicroMasters program certificate will count towards the degree.
Learners who successfully complete all four of the courses will earn a MicroMasters program certificate from ColumbiaX. Recipients of a MicroMasters program certificate can apply to Columbia University's online or on-campus Masters programs listed below. If admitted, students will receive 7.5 course credits towards their MS degree. MicroMasters credits cannot be combined with any other transfer credits.
- MS in Management Science & Engineering (Engineering and Business Schools, on-campus)
- MS in Operations Research (Engineering School, online or on-campus)
- MS in Marketing Science (Business School, on-campus)
- MS in Business Analytics (Engineering and Business Schools, on-campus)
For more information, see the MicroMasters program FAQ page.
- The use of business analytics has grown exponentially in all areas, including healthcare, government, retail, e-commerce, media, manufacturing, and the service industry.
- The result is an increased need for employees with an analytical approach to management who can utilize data, understand statistical and quantitative models, and are able to make better data-driven business decisions.
- Career prospects include business analyst, business intelligence analyst, business development manager, market research analyst, marketing intelligence analyst, digital marketing manager, chief operating officer, strategist, and chief marketing officer.
- We also expect successful learners to gravitate toward start-up organizations.
Meet your instructors
Experts from ColumbiaX committed to teaching online learning
In today’s changing business landscape, the role of the business analyst is changing from one focused on gathering requirements to one helping align and drive organizational strategy. Bloomberg is always looking for analysts with a deep understanding of statistics, data management, and data modeling. Learning those skills through a program like the edX MicroMasters courses in Business Analytics will help prepare professionals for today's marketplace.
- Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this program: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this program in all locations. EdX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.
- These courses are instructional-led and each course has 10-12 weeks of lecture plus an additional final exam week. If you are interested in completing the full MicroMasters program on edX, there is no time limit in which you must complete all the courses in the program. Currently, the courses are offered twice a year, in the spring and fall term. For those who are interested in applying for an M.S. degree at Columbia University, you must complete this MicroMasters program within 2 years of the start date of the first course in order to include MicroMasters certificate in your application package. For example, if you aim to apply for 2021 Fall M.S. program, you have to earn the MicroMasters Program certificate by 2021 February admission deadline.