What you will learn
- Apply methods, tools, and software for acquiring, managing/storing, and accessing structured and unstructured data
- Prepare data for statistical analysis, perform basic exploratory and descriptive analysis, and apply statistical techniques to analyze data
- Apply descriptive, predictive and prescriptive analytics to business modeling and decision-making
- Demonstrate orally, and in writing, the ability to explain complex analytical models and results
Courses in this program
Columbia’s MicroMasters program in Business Analytics will empower learners with the skills, insights and understanding to improve business performance using data, statistical and quantitative analysis, and explanatory and predictive modelling to help make actionable decisions.
The curriculum is designed to provide learners with a series of courses that emphasizes the use of statistical analysis, computing tools, and mathematical models to predict the outcomes of various business decisions, and identify the best implementation.
- The use of business analytics has grown exponentially in all areas, including healthcare, government, retail, e-commerce, media, manufacturing, and the service industry.
- The result is an increased need for employees with an analytical approach to management who can utilize data, understand statistical and quantitative models, and are able to make better data-driven business decisions.
- Career prospects include business analyst, business intelligence analyst, business development manager, market research analyst, marketing intelligence analyst, digital marketing manager, chief operating officer, strategist, and chief marketing officer.
- We also expect successful learners to gravitate toward start-up organizations.
"In today’s changing business landscape, the role of the business analyst is changing from one focused on gathering requirements to one helping align and drive organizational strategy. Bloomberg is always looking for analysts with a deep understanding of statistics, data management, and data modeling. Learning those skills through a program like the edX MicroMasters courses in Business Analytics will help prepare professionals for today's marketplace."
"Tech Mahindra is guaranteeing interviews at its India locations for edX learners who successfully complete this MicroMasters program and meet other hiring criteria. Today’s disruptive business landscape demands for our talents to be future ready and it is our prime responsibility that the right tools and innovative pathways are facilitated for them... We are excited to work together with edX because careers will be facilitated with a blended learning environment, as well as this gives us the opportunity to bring in new ideas to the table and enhance our customer’s experiences."
How To Earn The MicroMasters Program Certificate
Complete and earn a Verified Certificate in all four courses to receive your MicroMasters program certificate.
Take Your Credential To The Next Level
Successful learners with the MicroMasters program in Business Analytics will have an entryway to three Columbia Masters programs: MS in Management Science & Engineering (Engineering and Business School), MS in Operations Research (SEAS), MS in Marketing Science (CBS), and starting in Fall 2018 MS in Business Analytics (Engineering and Business School).
If a learner applies to one of the programs above and is accepted, the MicroMasters program certificate will count toward 7.5 credits required for graduation from the on campus programs, or in the on-campus and online program in MS in Operations Research (SEAS).
For more information, see the MicroMasters FAQ page.
Who can take this program?
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this program: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this program in all locations. EdX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.