What you will learn
- How to load and clean real-world data
- How to make reliable statistical inferences from noisy data
- How to use machine learning to learn models for data
- How to visualize complex data
- How to use Apache Spark to analyze data that does not fit within the memory of a single computer
Excel in Data Science, one of the hottest fields in tech today. Learn how to gain new insights from big data by asking the right questions, manipulating data sets and visualizing your findings in compelling ways.
In this MicroMasters program, you will develop a well-rounded understanding of the mathematical and computational tools that form the basis of data science and how to use those tools to make data-driven business recommendations.
This MicroMasters program encompasses two sides of data science learning: the mathematical and the applied.
Mathematical courses cover probability, statistics, and machine learning. The applied courses cover the use of specific toolkit and languages such as Python, Numpy, Matplotlib, pandas and Scipy, the Jupyter notebook environment and Apache Spark to delve into real world data.
You will learn how to collect, clean and analyse big data using popular open source software will allow you to perform large-scale data analysis and present your findings in a convincing, visual way. When combined with expertise in a particular type of business, it will make you a highly desirable employee.
Courses in this program
UCSanDiegoX's Data Science MicroMasters® Program
What is a MicroMasters Program?
MicroMasters programs are a series of graduate level courses from top universities designed to advance your career. MicroMasters program certificates showcase deep learning and in-demand skills to employers and can help you get started on a path toward completing an advanced degree.
How to Earn a MicroMasters Program Certificate
To earn the program certificate, learners must complete and successfully earn a verified certificate in all four program courses.
From Program Certificate to a Master’s Degree
MicroMasters programs are designed to offer learners a pathway to an advanced degree and can count as credit toward completing a Master’s degree program. Learners who successfully earn this MicroMasters program certificate may apply for admission to several Master’s programs, and if accepted, the MicroMasters program certificate will count towards the degree.
Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) offers a pathway to credit for UCSanDiegox Data Science MicroMasters program certificate holders towards the completion of RIT’s Master of Science degree in Data Science. The MicroMasters program certificate will count as 30% of the full Master’s degree.
Completers are also eligible to apply for admission to the Master of Predictive Analytics program at Curtin University. If a learner applies for admission and is accepted, the MicroMasters program certificate will count towards 25% (or 100 credits of the 400 credits) of the coursework required for graduation in the Curtin program.
- There are approximately 215,000 open job positions in Data Science (Source:Indeed.com)
- There are currently about 31,000 openings for Statistician positions in the US (LinkedIn), offering an average salary of $77,000 (Glassdoor)
- In the field of Business intelligence, there are around 14,000 openings in the US (LinkedIn) at a $88,000 base salary
- Careers include data scientist, data engineer, data analyst, statistician, data manager, data architect, business analyst
- Data Scientist is rated the best job in America for 2017, with a median base salary of $110,000. (Source: Glassdoor)
Meet your instructors from The University of California, San Diego (UCSanDiegoX)
Experts from UCSanDiegoX committed to teaching online learning
Mitchell International highly values professionals with proficiency in Data Science and recognizes the need for more individuals to obtain this knowledge and skill set. It is my belief that a candidate credentialed through the edX MicroMasters program in Data Science would have a marked advantage for the following positions in Mitchell International: Business Systems Analyst, Data Analyst, Data Scientist, Data Informatics Analyst, Machine Learning Engineer.
Tech Mahindra is guaranteeing interviews at its India locations for edX learners who successfully complete this MicroMasters program and meet other hiring criteria. Today’s disruptive business landscape demands for our talents to be future ready and it is our prime responsibility that the right tools and innovative pathways are facilitated for them... We are excited to work together with edX because careers will be facilitated with a blended learning environment, as well as this gives us the opportunity to bring in new ideas to the table and enhance our customer’s experiences.
- You can purchase every course in the program at a 10% discount using the green “Pursue the Program” button at the top left of this page. You can still take each course in the session that works best for you. After you purchase the program, you’ll have 24 months to select a session for each course. You can also complete and purchase the courses one by one. After you’ve earned a verified certificate from each course in the program, you’ll automatically receive the program credential. You can start each course in the Audit track, then upgrade before the course’s payment deadline for a verified certificate. You don’t need to complete all of the courses at once in order to earn the program credential. Courses will be re-offered on an ongoing basis, and all certificates count towards the program credential. There is no overall deadline to complete the program, but individual courses do have deadlines that you can see when enrolled. The program page lists all future course sessions that we have scheduled at this time. Try looking for the “more dates” option above the enrollment button to see future course listings.
- Unfortunately, learners residing in one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this program: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this program in all locations. edX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.