What you will learn
- Cloud computing foundations and models
- Types of cloud computing technologies (ie: AWS, Azure, IBM)
- Methods for managing a cloud computing adoption/migration project
- How to design a cloud computing infrastructure or service
- Deployment and configuration of cloud computing systems
- Insuring cloud security and mitigating risk
- SaaS, PaaS and IaaS and other service platforms
The exciting field of Cloud Computing has experienced explosive growth. This transformative technology has not only altered the way business operate, but it has also shaken up the traditional structure of the IT department and placed new demands on staff members who are faced with reinventing their own careers. With organizations rapidly moving their infrastructures and services to the cloud, jobs are growing at a breakneck pace, with many positions are left unfilled.
Gain an understanding of cloud technologies such as AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, OpenStack, and vSphere and how to leverage them to increase business productivity and effectiveness. In this Cloud Computing MicroMasters program, you will learn about Infrastructure As A Service (IaaS), Platform As A Service (PaaS), Software As A Service (SaaS), and other "X as a service" platforms. You will receive key foundational knowledge about legal and compliance issues, security and risk mitigation and how to follow industry standards and best practices. You will also gain hands-on experience in implementing, configuring and managing cloud technologies.
This applied, graduate-level program is designed for learners who want to enter or advance their careers in this exciting and well-paying field. IT professionals not already working with cloud technologies will gain a solid foundation while those with some cloud experience will gain a more in-depth understanding of other cloud technologies and other knowledge such as security, policy, and legal and compliance issues.
Courses in this program
UMGC and USMx's Cloud Computing MicroMasters® Program
What is a MicroMasters Program?
MicroMasters programs are a series of graduate level courses from top universities designed to advance your career. MicroMasters program certificates showcase deep learning and in-demand skills to employers and can help you get started on a path toward completing an advanced degree.
How to Earn a MicroMasters Program Certificate
To earn the program certificate, learners must complete and successfully earn a verified certificate in all four MicroMasters program courses.
From Program Certificate to a Master’s Degree
MicroMasters programs are designed to offer learners a pathway to an advanced degree and can count as credit toward completing a Master’s degree program. Learners who successfully earn this MicroMasters program certificate may apply for admission to a Master’s program, and if accepted, the MicroMasters program certificate will count towards the degree.
Learners who successfully earn the MicroMasters program certificate are eligible to transition into the Master’s program in Cloud Computing Architecture at the University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC). This program is fully online. Students will need to complete the application process to UMGC and meet all admission requirements for The Graduate School. For more information visit: https://www.umgc.edu/admissions/admission-requirements/graduate-admissions.cfm
The Cloud Computing MicroMasters program certificate will count for 12 credits toward the full Master’s degree (36 credits are required for graduation with the MS in Cloud Computing Architecture degree).
- More than half of US businesses now use cloud computing to reduce cost, increase flexibility, and increase agility. This number is expected to grow rapidly over the next few years. (Source: Forbes)
- The federal government has a “Cloud First” mandate, which directs agencies to move IT infrastructure to the cloud. (Source: CIO.gov)
- In 2015, over 3.9 million US jobs were affiliated with cloud computing, with many of them unfilled. (Source: Forbes)
- Cloud Computing jobs are some of the hardest to fill in the industry. (Source: Burning Glass)
- Job titles include: Cloud Engineer, Cloud Architect, Cloud Analyst, Network Architect, and Network Administrator.
Meet your instructors
Experts from UMGC, USMx committed to teaching online learning
The pace of today’s digital transformation requires us all to make a concerted effort to keep our technical expertise current. Programs like UMGC’s MicroMasters program in Cloud Computing are excellent opportunities for people seeking to stay ahead of the curve, learning about cutting-edge cloud and modular technology solutions that are required to excel in a modern, 24/7 environment.
Lockheed Martin Corporation
For the second year in a row, cloud and distributed computing led LinkedIn's annual list of the skills employers need most in candidates, outpacing statistical analysis and data mining. When I published the world's 1st Doctoral Dissertation on Cloud Computing in 2011, I envisioned cloud computing revolutionizing the enterprise. The Cloud Computing MicroMasters is an efficient and targeted way for those interested in this career path to obtain the foundational knowledge and skills in the growing cloud computing field.
- No. To earn the MicroMasters program certificate you need to successfully earn a verified certificate in all four Cloud Computing MicroMasters program courses when they are scheduled and then, pass the final, comprehensive proctored exam. The courses are on an instructor-paced schedule rather than self-paced, so there is no way to reduce the time to complete them.
- Unfortunately, learners from Iran and Cuba will not be able to register for this course. While edX has received a licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer courses to learners from these countries, our licenses do not cover this course. EdX truly regrets that US sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.
- Learners who successfully earn the MicroMasters program certificate and are admitted into UMGC’s graduate school are eligible to earn up to 12 credits toward the Master’s degree (36 credits are required for graduation with the MS in Cloud Computing Architecture degree).
- The Cloud Computing MicroMasters program is designed for individuals who want to develop theoretical and technical competencies required to design and manage cloud computing environment.
- Students must achieve a grade of 80% or higher for a passing grade in each of the courses in the MicroMasters program.
- No. The program content and course projects are sequential allowing the learner to build on subsequent work. Completing the listed prerequisite courses is essential in order to be successful in the course work.
- You will receive an individual verified certificate for each Cloud Computing MicroMasters program course that you pass as a verified student. Students passing the final capstone project review and all four Cloud Computing MicroMasters program courses on a verified track will receive a MicroMasters program certificate.
- Yes. You need to be admitted to the Master’s program. The MicroMasters program certificate does not guarantee admission. The Learner will need to complete the application process to UMGC and meet all entrance requirements for The Graduate School. For more information visit: https://www.umgc.edu/admissions/admission-requirements/graduate-admissions.cfm
- Yes. If you are interested in the Cloud Computing MicroMasters program certificate, you must successfully pass and receive a verified certificate in each of the four Cloud Computing Program courses (CC605x, CC607x, CC615x, CC617x) as well as successfully pass the final, comprehensive proctored exam .
- To ensure that your program remains relevant and up-to-date, UMGC sets time limits for completing a program. Students have five (5) consecutive years from the start of the graduate degree to complete their degree. For students who start with a MicroMasters, their “time clock” begins on the date that they complete their last course in the MicroMasters program and receive their Verified Certificate. This means that students should apply to UMGC promptly to begin the degree and have as much time as possible to complete it.