Science at the Polls: Biology for Voters, Part 2
About this courseSkip About this course
Science plays a crucial role in your decisions as you go about your daily life. The representatives you elect and the legislation you vote on influences science legislation, limits and funding. This class will teach you fundamentals of modern biology to help you make more informed voting decisions.
As you learn the fundamentals of Biology, we'll explore the scientific issues sparking political debate:
- Genetically modified food and genetically modified crops
- Genetically modified organisms
- Obesity and health care costs
- Cancer research funding
We look forward to engaging course discussions about how each vote in a democracy affects the way biology functions in your everyday life.
At a glance
- Institution: BerkeleyX
- Subject: Social Sciences
- Level: Introductory
- Prerequisites: We will be assuming background knowledge at the level of a high school biology course. A high school chemistry course would be nice for some of the lectures, but not required. No other science background will be assumed.
- Language: English
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- The science behind making informed decisions at the polls
- Explore the scientific issues sparking political debate
- How each vote in a democracy affects the way biology functions in your everyday life