What you will learn
- Develop and debug code in the C programming language
- Discover the foundations of computer programming and Linux, manipulate the command line, manage processes, files and memory, and compile C code with Linux
- Interpret, analyze, and implement important computer algorithms
- Observe, manipulate, and optimize computer memory using pointers in the C programming language
Courses in this program
In this C Programming with Linux Professional Certificate program of seven short courses, you will learn how to write, read and debug computer programs in the C programming language while also becoming familiar with the Linux operating system.
Beginners, even those without any programming experience, will be able to immediately start coding in C through our new coding tools within the web browser. No need to install anything!
Why learn C and not another programming language? Did you know that smartphones, your car’s navigation system, robots, drones, trains, and almost all electronic devices have some C-code running under the hood? C is used in any circumstance where speed and flexibility are important, such as in embedded systems or high-performance computing.
C is a foundational programming language taught at engineering schools around the world, and represents one of the building blocks of modern computer information technology. Invented in the 1970’s. It is still one of the most stable and popular programming languages in the world.
Along with the C programming language comes Linux, an essential operating system used by most computer scientists and developers. Linux powers almost all supercomputers and most of the servers worldwide as well as all android devices and most internet of things devices. This Professional Certificate Program will introduce the Linux command line and Linux tools for C programmers; both of which are must-have skills in today’s tech industries.
You will practice through guided exercises and short coding demonstrations, as well as more elaborate assignments.
Our dedicated international course team is excited to introduce you to the world of coding and guide you along your path to becoming a skilled C programmer and help you pursue a career in computer engineering.
This course has received financial support from the Patrick and Lina Drahi Foundation.
- Programmers, developers, engineers, managers, and related industries within scientific computing and data science;
- Embedded systems such as transportation, utility networks, and aerospace;
- Robotics industry and manufacturing;
- IoT (Internet of Things) used in smart homes, automation, and wearables.
- IEEE, the world’s largest technical professional organization for the advancement of technology, ranks C as one of the top programming languages of 2017 in demand by employers. (Source: IEEE Spectrum)
Nokia Bell Labs
"We are delighted to support Télécom ParisTech and Dartmouth College in the creation of MOOCs dedicated to "Programming in C with Linux". Software has an increasingly large footprint in our research, products, and solutions and C and Linux are instrumental for much of the software development at Nokia and in the industry at large. We are convinced that “Programming in C Using Linux” will have great relevance for the industrial and academic software communities."
"Learners of this Professional Certificate will be ready to face challenges in the world of interconnected objects sharing their data. Airbus has a large catalogue of products, from aircraft to satellites, in communication and geographical data delivery services. Increasingly, Airbus factories and products are connected using Linux leading to this operating system becoming even more widely used. "Programming in C with Linux" supports building essential programming skills to work in today’s industries."
"The combined expertise of our employees have made Thales a key player in keeping the public safe and secure through developing world-class technologies. In our increasingly connected world, software defines everything and the "Programming in C with Linux” Professional Certificate will provide current and potential programmers the skills to contribute to the software of tomorrow. Thales strongly supports the “Programming in C with Linux” program."