What you will learn
- Adapt to an effective development life cycle by reading and writing Javadocs, importing third party software libraries and applying testing and debugging skills.
- Utilize the event-driven programming paradigm to create programs that execute based on asynchronized events.
- Build graphical user interface (GUI) with customizable rendering by using the Java Foundation Classes (JFC).
- Develop Android applications with theming and graphics by using Android Material Design elements.
- Create Android applications that can offload processing to the background by using asynchronized tasks.
In this Professional Certificate program, you will learn how to formulate formal solutions to well-defined problems and implement them in Java using an integrated development environment (IDE).
By the end of this program, you will be able to develop simple Java applications or Android apps to realize concepts in your area of expertise.
The program targets learners who have little or no experience of programming.
Courses in this program
HKUSTx's Java and Android Foundation Professional Certificate
- The median salary for a Java Developer is $72,936 and that for an Android developer is $78,003. (source: payscale.com - Java, Android)
- The need for Java developers is not likely to slow down in 2016 as estimated by a recruiting company. (source: cersnow.com)
- The demand for Android developers is high while supply of qualified candidates is still low. (source: stackoverflow.blog)
- Career prospects for candidates with foundation knowledge in Java and Android include: Java Application Developer, Junior Mobile Developer and Mobile Software Engineering.
Meet your instructors
Experts from HKUSTx committed to teaching online learning
In addition to building a strong foundation in Java and Android programming, this Professional Certificate program is able to make important connections between computer programming and problem solving skills. I'm confident to say that a candidate excelled in this edX Professional Certificate program will be able to demonstrate good problem solving ability using Java and Android which is a highly sought after skill in the IT industry.