What you will learn
- What FinTech is and how it is transforming the world of finance around the world.
- Understand the major technologies involved in FinTech and the major players in the market, including startups, TechFins, traditional financial institutions and regulators.
- Learn about blockchain, its design, uses, potential and limitations.
- The opportunities of FinTech but also the risks and challenges of the technological transformation of finance.
- Understand not only the current landscape but also develop the tools to understand future trends and developments.
Nominated for the 2020 edX Prize
Finance and technology have a very long history of intertwined evolution, from the earliest coins to today’s cryptocurrencies. However, in the past decade, the speed of change combined with an ever-increasing range of new entrants – from startups to tech firms, from global markets to emerging markets – are transforming the world of finance at an unprecedented pace. This can be seen most clearly in the context of large emerging markets including China and India.
In this interdisciplinary Professional Certificate program in FinTech, you will learn about the world of FinTech and the opportunities and challenges it is bringing around the world. The Professional Certificate program will give you the tools to understand the interaction of finance and technology across the financial system as well as insight into the major technologies involved and the emerging business models and players in the industry.
This program is designed for those working in finance, technology, regulation or FinTech, those studying related subjects, or those just interested in learning more about one of the most exciting processes underway today. Each course brings together leading experts in FinTech from a range of backgrounds, including professors, market professionals and entrepreneurs. Designed by leading academics from a range of disciplines with input from industry leaders including among others SuperCharger, the Centre for Finance, Technology and Entrepreneurship, Microsoft, PwC and the Asia Capital Markets Institute, each course will provide the tools necessary to transform one’s own future in FinTech. Over each week of each course, you will gain greater understanding of the key trends in finance, technology and regulation, to better prepare for not only the opportunities but also the risks and challenges, including to traditional financial institutions and business models and those working in them.
The University of Hong Kong is one of the world’s leading universities, with a global reputation in the areas of finance, law and technology. FinTech is one of HKU’s identified areas of strategic interdisciplinary research and teaching, and HKU offers undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in FinTech and a range of related subjects.
Learners who complete theThe Introduction to FinTech course are qualified as 'Certified FinTech Professional' under the Global Academy of Finance and Management (GAFM)
Courses in this program
HKUx's FinTech Professional Certificate
- 1–3 hours per week, for 6 weeks
Learn from leading academics and practitioners from around the world about the innovations, technology and regulation driving the transformation of finance.
- 1–5 hours per week, for 6 weeks
Learn how individuals and organizations can utilize and regulate blockchain, AI, and other FinTech solutions to ensure their adoption does not come at the expense of societal growth.
- 3–4 hours per week, for 6 weeks
Understand the design rationale of blockchain technology, its emerging platforms and applications and uncover the limitations and the opportunities enabled by blockchain applications, particularly as it relates to finance.
- Application of technology is not only transforming finance but also the employment needs of the industry, increasing the need for multidisciplinary understanding of technology, finance and regulation.
- 84% of insurers will increase FinTech partnerships over the next 3-5 years. (Source: PwC)
- 77% of firms expect to adopt blockchain as part of an in production system or process by 2020. (Source: PwC)
- Automation in finance is dramatically changing the needs of financial industry participants, necessitating re-skilling across large scopes of the employment landscape.
Meet your instructors from University of Hong Kong (HKUx)
Experts from HKUx committed to teaching online learning
As finance is being transformed at an increasingly faster pace, the need for high quality education has never been higher. Our mission at CFTE is to offer opportunities to those who want to be part of the new world of finance, and we are proud to collaborate with Hong Kong University to develop education at scale.
Thomson Reuters is one of the world's first FinTech companies and is dedicated to the development of the industry as a strategic priority. We have contributed to the Introduction to FinTech course and feel that the new Professional Certificate will provide a valuable resource for both those in the industry as well as those looking for careers in FinTech.
Standard Chartered understands the importance of constant innovation in the era of digital transformation. By completing University of Hong Kong’s first FinTech-focused Massive Open Online Course over edX, our staff will be better equipped not just to cope with the technological changes, but also to become the disruptor of the banking industry to bring better services to our customers.