What you will learn
- Identify, appraise and implement learning management tools and systems;
- Determine key development considerations, and formulate a strategic plan for launching an online course or program;
- Evaluate and adopt educational technologies, and apply instructional design principles and methodology;
- Create engaging content and an effective course structure and experience that aligns with online course development best practice.
- Explore how to foster supportive and enriching virtual teaching and learning environments;
- Learn how to teach effectively in online and blended formats to achieve student learning objectives.
Online education has been growing and evolving for some time. COVID-19 has accelerated this shift, along with increasing recognition of the benefits of distributed learning, such as flexibility, accessibility, and scale.
And yet globally, instructors and administrators continue to grapple with the transition to teaching online. Navigating the online environment can be daunting and difficult to do well, especially while catering to a variety of student needs. Many of us feel overwhelmed and ill-equipped to plan and create high-quality, effective online course content that maximizes student engagement.
Designed for educators and administrators, this hands-on professional certificate program will help you harness and evaluate technology, and effectively plan, develop, implement and deliver engaging and enduring online programs. You will gain the knowledge to assess and implement pedagogical technologies, and contribute to strategic decisions around online course design, teaching and learning.
Course One is directed at administrators and educational leaders required to make decisions around digital learning technologies and frameworks, including assessing learning management systems (LMS) and tools for creating both synchronous and asynchronous course materials. Courses Two and Three focus on content development,effective teaching and instructional design, equipping you to produce and deliver interactive learning experiences that boost student success. These courses contain specific resources and learning activities tailored to primary, secondary and adult/higher education.
Taught by Dr. Donna Bonassisa, an online education expert with international experience in primary, secondary, adult and cultural education, this program offers a unique intercultural perspective. Through online discussion, become a part of a vibrant community of educators worldwide.
Courses in this program
UBCx's Online Teaching for Educators: Development and Delivery Professional Certificate
- 5–7 hours per week, for 2 weeks
Determine key considerations for preparing and developing an online course or program, from technology selection to change management.
- 5–7 hours per week, for 3 weeks
This course will prepare administrators and educators with an understanding of course and program design and development.
- 5–7 hours per week, for 3 weeks
Learn strategies for effective and engaging teaching and learning in an online course environment.
- COVID-19 has resulted in school closures in 130 countries: globally, as of Fall 2020, 1 billion children are out of the classroom, with many learning online for the first time.
- Educational technology adoption was proliferating even before COVID-19, with global edtech investments reaching US$18.66 billion in 2019, and the broader online education market projected to reach $350 Billion by 2025.
- Pre-COVID, 64% of U.S. middle school students and 63% of high school students were using digital learning tools at school daily, with 92% of students indicating that they would like to continue using these tools as or more often.
- 81% of K-12 principals see great value in using digital learning tools now, 93% see great value in using these tools in the future.
Meet your instructor from University of British Columbia (UBCx)
Experts from UBCx committed to teaching online learning