What you will learn
- Various ways to interpret the derivative and integral of a function and how to compute these quantities
- How to use linear and quadratic approximations of functions to simplify computations and gain insight into the system behavior
- Applications of the derivative and integral such as in optimizing the cost of production or computing the stress on a construction beam
- The calculus of parameterized curves and polar coordinates
- How to approximate complicated functions by a series of simpler functions
Master the calculus of derivatives, integrals, coordinate systems, and infinite series.
In this series, you will learn the mathematical notation, physical meaning, and geometric interpretation of a variety of calculus concepts. Along with the fundamental computational skills required to solve these problems, you will also gain insight into real-world applications of these mathematical ideas.
"Very detailed and comprehensive to the point where it's not possible not to understand concepts or not to be able to solve challenging problems. We are all very fortunate that Professor Jerison and his team spent the time to put together this experience for us. I suspect that it's on an ongoing effort where changes are being made to facilitate learning. It is very rewarding. It can be time-consuming, but I finally realized that to really get math, it takes this much time and effort. Third course in the sequence in at this point, the only thing I am missing is more MIT math MOOCs." - Ivan (completed this course)
"Part 2 of single variable calculus course is another great MIT course. The videos, exercises and problem sets are excellent. The pace of the course accommodates everyone from students, busy working professionals, etc., Add to this generous extensions of the due date by the course staff so that maximum students can learn and complete the course. A great way to learn single variable calculus." - Dna47a (completed this course, spending 10 hours a week on it and found the course difficulty to be medium)
"Another excellent MIT course. The videos, exercises and the problem sets are too good. Add to all this a lively discussion forum where the staff and TA's are always there to help you out." - Dna47a (completed this course)
Courses in this program
MITx's 18.01x Single Variable Calculus XSeries Program
This is a series of 3 courses.
Meet your instructors
Experts from MITx committed to teaching online learning