Sobre este cursoOmitir Sobre este curso
Have you ever wondered what viruses actually are?
Have you been curious about the ways they invade our bodies, attack our cells and make us sick? Come and learn what viruses are made of and understand the mechanisms of how they hijack and take over our cells.
There is no need for a background in science - just bring your curious mind!
Our bodies are made of cells, which are amazing molecular machines. So long as everything is in working order, we feel great. But surprisingly, these unbelievably tiny parasites made of Protein and Genes - viruses - can take over and cause serious damage to our bodies.
Step by step, this course will teach you how the cells of our bodies work to keep us healthy. We will then explore the vast kingdom of viruses; especially those that have caused epidemics like the flu, AIDS and Ebola. Finally, we will systematically review our immune system, how it identifies "the enemies," and how it takes them out.
The lectures have been carefully planned to clearly describe basic Cell Biology, Virology, and Immunology in terms that everyone can understand, without compromising scientific correctness. You'll participate in a detailed exploration of the structures in our cells and how they function. You'll learn how viruses replicate and the way our immune system protects us from disease, as well as how scientists investigate these topics. You'll view laboratory demonstrations that illustrate how cells and viruses are grown and studied. Throughout the course, you will meet leading experts and scientists - some of whom have received the Nobel Prize in recognition of their discoveries and contributions to Chemistry and Medicine.
Together we will gain a clearer understanding of how science has been applied to produce effective diagnostic tests, better medicines, and protective vaccines. You'll gain fascinating and comprehensible knowledge that is also practical. It is our goal to arm you with sufficient credible and practical understanding of how vaccines work so that you can make better vaccine-relevant decisions for you and your family.
Lo que aprenderásOmitir Lo que aprenderás
- The makeup of cell structures (organelles) and theirfunctions;
- What happens to our body when it is infected by viruses;
- How our Immune System operates to protect us;
- The pros and cons of vaccination.
Obtén un Certificado Verificado para destacar los conocimientos y las habilidades que adquieras$49 USD
Oficial y verificado
Fácil de compartir
Agrega el certificado a tu currículum o publícalo directamente en LinkedIn
El certificado te da un motivo más para completar el curso
Apoya nuestra labor
Testimonios de los estudiantes
- I was reluctant about my daughters being vaccinated for cancer causing Human Papilloma, after the course I feel my opinion has changed and I will definitely allow it!
- This has got to be the best Life Sciences introductory course I've taken. It was informative, it was humorous, it was engaging.
- I really liked this course. Professor Gershoni does an excellent job in explaining a complicated subject (the inner workings of the cell) in a very clear manner, without leaving out details or watering down.