Introduction to Biomedical Imaging
Sobre este cursoOmitir Sobre este curso
Imaging technologies form a significant component of the health budgets of all developed economies, and most people need advanced imaging such as MRIs, X-Rays and CT Scans (or CAT Scans) during their life. Many of us are aware of the misinformation sometimes offered in TV dramas, which either exaggerates the benefits or overemphasizes the risks.
This medical imaging course provides an introduction to biomedical imaging and modern imaging modalities. The course also covers the basic scientific principals behind each modality, and introduces some of the key applications, from neurological diseases to cancers. This course includes modules specially designed for the general public, whilst also providing some advanced modules which could contribute to professional development in health, engineering and IT industries.
De un vistazo
- Institución: UQx
- Tema: Medicina
- Nivel: Introductory
High school level in scientific fields such as biology and a desire to learn are highly recommended. For the advanced section of the course, first tertiary year of applied mathematics or computer science specialised in modelling is recommended.
- Idioma: English
- Transcripción de video: English
- Habilidades asociadas:Cancer, X-Ray Computed Tomography, Neurology
Lo que aprenderásOmitir Lo que aprenderás
- Why there is a need for different imaging modalities
- The basic principles of each modality and the terminology used
- The patient experience and why things happen during the imaging procedure
- How to select the most suitable modality for a given clinical case
- How to provide basic advice on imaging modalities to your peers
Additionally, in the 'advanced' sections in the course you'll learn:
- How an image is reconstructed / visualized OR
- The principles of image post-processing
Plan de estudiosOmitir Plan de estudios
The Introduction to Biomedical Imaging course incorporates a case study which is introduced at the start of each episode. This case study will follow a hypothetical patient required to undergo various imaging modalities for a medical condition.
For each episode we include information relevant to that modality and the basic scientific principles, hardware and technology, and clinical applications.
- In episode 1, we'll consider x-rays.
- In episode 2, we'll explore computerised tomography (CT).
- In episode 3, you'll learn about ultrasound (U/S).
- In episode 4, we'll discuss magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
- In episode 5, you'll learn about PET and SPECT.
Each episode will include several short quizzes which will not contribute to your final grade and will help you understand the key points.
To complete the course, the assessment is a marked quiz for each episode that will contribute to your final grade, plus a final assessment called Assessment Scenarios at the end of the course. Assessment Scenarios involve reviewing 2 case studies/scenarios and answering questions related to imaging modalities of relevance.
Testimonios de los estudiantesOmitir Testimonios de los estudiantes
"A complete introduction to the main imaging techniques: simple X-ray, CT, ultrasounds, MRI and PET. For each are presented the scientific principles, the technology, the cases of use, examples and the basics of images interpretation. Very accessible and well taught by several different instructors" - ClaudioFelicioli
"Would recommend this course" -Ann Schmidt
"This is my first ever course on Biomedical imaging. It was easy to follow and highly informative. Thank you UQx" - Previous Learner