Lo que aprenderás
- View tourism as a complex social and environmental phenomenon.
- Obtain an overview of global tourism development in its historical context.
- Explore climate change mitigation and adaptation strategies.
- Apply lessons learned on your own theme of choice / organisational situation and get into action.
- Become part of ongoing dialogues on developments for the future of tourism.
Did you know tourism, the industry of adventure and leisure, is one of the largest worldwide? It faces many challenges. Among them the responsibility to become more sustainable. In this award-winning 3 online course programme Wageningen University & Research uniquely invites you to take on a reflective approach on sustainable tourism development.
The societal and environmental importance of tourism has grown significantly in recent decades. Its development is closely linked to major global changes in culture, politics, technology and the environment, affecting the quality of life of all stakeholders. While continuing its focus on growth, even in light of post-COVID ambitions to restore business-as-usual, tourism seems insensitive to sustainability issues. And with climate change forming an increasing challenge to both tourism and humanity, a radical paradigm shift is truly needed.
These 3 sustainable tourism courses are designed to take you on an wholistic investigation of the tourism sector and will eventually lead to your very own vision of what sustainable tourism should look like. To stimulate a continuous stream of new ideas, you are invited to join a platform for ongoing discussions on sustainable tourism business.
1. Instead of taking on tourism education’s customary approach – growth driven, applied and hospitality management – the first course of this programme offers an integral introduction to the complex phenomenon that is tourism, from its historical emergence to its current impact on society and the environment.
2. In the second course of the programme you will apply argumentation skills and different social science perspectives to tourism. You will learn of a broad array of sustainable tourism organizations, such as ecotourism and voluntourism. Together with your team you will pitch a case of your own.
3. In spite of tourism’s substantial contribution to climate change, international tourism continues to grow exponentially, with serious environmental impacts. That is why we dedicate this third course to address the mutual relationship between tourism and climate change. Study the key challenges related to mitigation and adaptation and learn to apply them to your personal position as well as your organisational situation.
So, are you eager to see tourism through a new lens? Join us on this unique all-round journey to bring about a much needed paradigm shift in the tourism industry. Together, we can drive sustainability in tourism. Subscribe now!
Cursos en este programa
Certificación Profesional en Tourism in Transition: Exploring a Sustainable Future de WageningenX
- 5–7 horas por semana durante 6 semanas
Wageningen University and Research invites you to this integral introduction of the exciting and complex phenomenon that is tourism. Ranked top 10 best online courses by Class Central, join us to gain an understanding of the scope next to the social and environmental implications of tourism. Take on the challenge of a more critical reflection of this industry, steeped in comfort and enjoyment, and help drive its sustainability!
- 6–8 horas por semana durante 9 semanas
Considering the negative impacts on climate change, the host communities and their natural resources, the growth-driven tourism industry needs to improve its footprint. Join Wageningen University and Research for this online course, nominated for the annual edX® award 2019. Engage in interdisciplinary debates to explore and co-create future responsible travel and tourism initiatives in your (professional) context. Subscribe now.
- 2–4 horas por semana durante 5 semanas
Global tourism’s CO2 emissions and overall environmental impact are substantial. Yet, is spite of the tourism sector’s vulnerability to the impacts of climate change, it continues to grow exponentially, driven by an ever rising tourism demand. Join Wageningen University & Research as our successful Tourism team explores the mutual impacts of tourism stakeholders and the climate. Take on our challenge of reimagining the tourism industry toward low-carbon, sustainable development! Subscribe now.
- The United Nations has designated 2017 as the International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development. It marked the beginning of a visible awareness of making the industry greener and more social.
- Tourism is one of the largest industries of the world and it continues to experience ongoing growth.
- Globally 1 in 12 jobs is in tourism. Most of these jobs have an applied nature, yet there is a strong need for skilled, creative and responsible gamechangers.
- Participating in this program allows you to improve reflective skills next to opportunities to team up and suggest necessary changes to bend growth into a sustainable direction.
Conoce a tus instructores de Wageningen University & Research (WageningenX)
Expertos de WageningenX comprometidos con el aprendizaje en línea