Sobre este curso
In this age of information, data is available everywhere and grows at an exponential rate. How can we make sense of all this data? How do we take advantage of data when making decisions? How do we use data to help us guide the management and planning of our policies?
Whether you're a citizen or a policymaker, learning the answers to these questions can benefit you greatly.
In this course, you will strengthen your ability to use, understand and interpret data. Using the “Numbers for Development" and “Caribbean Data Portal” platforms developed by the IDB - which presents data and socioeconomic indicators from the Latin American and Caribbean region - you will be able to understand how to improve the decision-making process in public management.
At the end of the course, you will have gained the tools to navigate data, perform and interpret visualizations, and understand the different types of data analysis according to the policy to be implemented.
Relax, it's not a statistics course! However, you will acquire the knowledge necessary to interpret graphs, statistical reports and understand their language. And, most importantly, you will acquire the foundations to be able to base your decisions on verifiable data, beyond intuition.
The course is based on real-life examples, so you can understand the different concepts and methodologies in a simple, practical and enjoyable way. Using different practical activities, you will be able to apply the acquired knowledge and practice with data and graphs. In addition, we will show you real IDB cases to promote analysis and present the realities to which experts from the region and the Caribbean are exposed. You will also face some creative challenges that will allow you to measure your abilities on a higher level of difficulty.
The course has readings and videos that enable you to generate a better understanding of course topics and participate in the discussion forums with a strong basis; open up areas for discussion with your colleagues around the issues and challenges raised during the course.
Finally, this course is “self-paced”. This means that if you choose to pay for the verified certificate, you will be able to take the course in a maximum term of about three months, from March 14 to December 14, 2019.
IMPORTANT: You can choose between auditing the course or obtaining a verified certificate. If you choose auditing the course, you will have free access to all course materials for 7 weeks, but you will not be able to participate in the assessment activities. If you’d rather obtain a verified certificate, you will have access to the assessment activities until the closing date of the course and you will be able to view the course materials for unlimited time.
Lo que aprenderás
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Recognize the importance of the relationship between data analysis and decision-making in public management.
- Define the research problem, starting hypothesis, analysis variables and some methods to test the hypotheses.
- Identify the methodology that best addresses the problems for collecting, interpreting and analyzing data.
- Interpret and develop different types of visualizations, using concrete examples from the Numbers for Development portal and the Caribbean Data Portal.
- Identify how to use data analysis to propose solutions to public policy problems, and to explain the assessment of a policy, and to carry out policy planning.
- Browse the IDB’s Numbers for Development and Caribbean Data Portal and its different sections.
- Browse the structure of the edX platform and the course.
Conoce a tus instructores
Obtén un Certificado Verificado para destacar los conocimientos y las habilidades que adquieras $25.00
Oficial y verificado
Obtén un certificado con la firma del instructor y el logotipo de la institución para demostrar tus logros y aumentar las posibilidades de conseguir trabajo
Fácil de compartir
Agrega el certificado a tu currículum o publícalo directamente en LinkedIn
El certificado te da un motivo más para completar el curso
Apoya nuestra labor
edX, una organización sin fines de lucro, se sustenta con los certificados verificados para financiar la educación gratuita para todo el mundo
Testimonios de los estudiantes
- I think it's important to get to know the databases of the IDB and other institutions, which will allow me to have a reliable source of information and, obviously, to generate the corresponding public policies.
- The course contains very significant tools, from the problem tree and the flow chart to the impact assessment. I hope they continue providing similar courses to further strengthen our knowledge in the use of data.
- I don't have enough words to thank you for the contents of this course.