Sobre este curso
You'll learn to establish links between publications data and methods, how to attach a persistent identifier and metadata to your results, and methods for clarifying usage rights. You will also discover ways to apply these principles to your daily research and adapt existing routines. Finally, you'll uncover potential barriers to sharing research and discuss possible solutions.
This course will help you grasp the key principles of Open Science, with answers to questions like:
- How can researchers effectively store, manage, and share research data?
- What kinds of open access publishing are most effective?
- How can researchers increase the visibility and impact of their research?
- How can the use of social media contribute to the visibility and impact of research?
This course is aimed at professionals. Those who will see the most benefit include academic researchers at different levels: PhD students, postdoctoral researchers, and professors; researchers working for governments; researchers working for commercial enterprises; MSc and BSc students interested to learn about the principles of Open Science.
The development of this course is supported by the VRE4EIC project with funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Programme.
Lo que aprenderás
- Describe concepts and objectives of open science
- Analyze and discuss benefits and barriers of particular open science cases, including cases from within your own region or discipline
- Set up an open data sharing strategy to increase your research visibility
- Determine appropriate route to take when publishing an open access article
Introduction to the Open Science movement. What are the objectives, main concepts, and benefits of Open Science? This includes:
- Discussing the traditional subscription-based journal system with regards to Open Access publishing
- Practical Open Science benefits for researchers
- Policies of important funding organizations
- Programs on Open Data and Open Access publishing and
- Case studies on successful application of Open Science by researchers from different backgrounds.
Introduction to effective and secure research data management, including:
- Learning the disciplinary standards of FAIR data sharing
- Evaluating the strengths and weaknesses of different data storage and backup options
- Organizing, documenting, and adding metadata to research data to optimize the visibility of your data
- Data archiving, access, sharing and re-use with the use of data repositories
- Understanding the different copyright licenses designed to deal with open data
- Dealing with confidential data, company restrictions, and third-party agreements through case studies
- Evaluating a data management plan
- Explaining how Open Data can be applied in your field of research
Here you will discuss the main differences between the open access and subscription-based publication model in science, and the main misconceptions about open access publishing. In this week we also introduce the creative commons licenses used by open access journals and self-archiving policies. You will examine how you can maximize the accessibility of publications in subscription-based journals, you will present your opinion of the open access publishing model and assess the ‘openness’ of the main scientific journals in your field of research.
Week 4: Increasing your research visibility
Here you discuss and formulate your communication strategy, describing and choosing your social media channels for reaching certain target groups. Finally, conclusions of this course will be discussed and we will reflect on what has been taught in the previous weeks.
Conoce a tus instructores
Obtén un Certificado Verificado para destacar los conocimientos y las habilidades que adquieras $50.00
Oficial y verificado
Obtén un certificado con la firma del instructor y el logotipo de la institución para demostrar tus logros y aumentar las posibilidades de conseguir trabajo
Fácil de compartir
Agrega el certificado a tu currículum o publícalo directamente en LinkedIn
El certificado te da un motivo más para completar el curso
Apoya nuestra labor
edX, una organización sin fines de lucro, se sustenta con los certificados verificados para financiar la educación gratuita para todo el mundo
The course materials of this course are Copyright Delft University of Technology and are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (CC-BY-NC-SA) 4.0 International License.