Sobre este cursoOmitir Sobre este curso
This course provides an introduction to basic probability concepts. Our emphasis is on applications in science and engineering, with the goal of enhancing modeling and analysis skills for a variety of real-world problems.
In order to make the course completely self-contained (and to bring back long-lost memories), we’ll start off with Bootcamp lessons to review concepts from set theory and calculus. We’ll then discuss the probability axioms that serve as the basis for all of our subsequent work – what makes probability tick? That discussion will give us the tools to study elementary probability counting rules, including permutations and combinations. We’ll use these rules to work on various cool applications, including poker probability calculations and baseball line-ups!
The next venues on our tour are the concepts of independence and conditional probability, which allow us to see how the probabilities of different events are related to each other, and how new information can be used to update probabilities. The course culminates in a discussion of Bayes Rule and its various interesting consequences related to probability updates.
Lo que aprenderásOmitir Lo que aprenderás
Upon completion of this course, learners will be able to:
• Review Bootcamp lessons based on set theory and calculus
• Identify underlying probability axioms
• Apply elementary probability counting rules, including permutations and combinations
• Recall the concepts of independence and conditional probability
• Determine how to update probabilities via Bayes Rule
Plan de estudiosOmitir Plan de estudios
“FCPS” refers to the free text, A First Course in Probability and Statistics
Module 1: Course Introduction + Bootcamps
• Lesson 1: Introduction to Probability and Statistics (FCPS §1.1)
• Lesson 2 [OPTIONAL]: The Joy of Sets Bootcamp (FCPS §1.2.1)
• Lesson 3 [OPTIONAL]: Calculus Bootcamp: Introduction + Derivatives (FCPS §1.2.2)
• Lesson 4 [OPTIONAL]: Calculus Bootcamp: Integration and Beyond (FCPS §1.2.2)
Module 2: Getting Started with Probability
• Lesson 1: Experiments, Sample Spaces, and Events (FCPS §§1.3.1−1.3.2)
• Lesson 2: What is Probability? (FCPS §1.3.3)
• Lesson 3: Basic Probability Results (FCPS §1.3.3)
• Lesson 4: Finite Sample Spaces (FCPS §1.4)
• Lesson 5: Counting Techniques: Baby Examples (FCPS §1.5.1)
• Lesson 6: Counting Techniques: Permutations (FCPS §1.5.2)
• Lesson 7: Counting Techniques: Combinations (FCPS §1.5.3)
Module 2 (cont’d): Getting Started with Probability
• Lesson 8: Hypergeometric, Binomial, and Multinomial Problems (FCPS §§1.6.1−1.6.3)
• Lesson 9: Permutations vs. Combinations (FCPS §1.6.4)
• Lesson 10: The Birthday Problem (FCPS §1.6.5)
• Lesson 11: The Envelope Problem (FCPS §1.6.6)
• Lesson 12: Poker Problems (FCPS §1.6.7)
• Lesson 13: Conditional Probability (FCPS §1.7.1)
• Lesson 14: Independence Day (FCPS §1.7.2)
• Lesson 15: Partitions and the Law of Total Probability (FCPS §1.8)
• Lesson 16: Bayes Theorem (FCPS §1.8)
Conoce a tus instructores
Obtén un Certificado Verificado para destacar los conocimientos y las habilidades que adquieras$199 USD
Oficial y verificado
Obtén un certificado con la firma del instructor y el logotipo de la institución para demostrar tus logros y aumentar las posibilidades de conseguir trabajo
Fácil de compartir
Agrega el certificado a tu currículum o publícalo directamente en LinkedIn
El certificado te da un motivo más para completar el curso
Apoya nuestra labor
edX, una organización sin fines de lucro, se sustenta con los certificados verificados para financiar la educación gratuita para todo el mundo
*What if I haven’t had math in a while?
Answer: Don’t worry! The course is self-contained, with all of the prerequisite material given in bootcamps at the beginning of the course.
*Will there be much programming?
Answer: A little, but you’ll be handle that in Excel or Matlab or whatever your favorite programming application is.