Sobre este cursoOmitir Sobre este curso
In this course, learn solutions to mitigate the effects of the global greenhouse gas emissions causing temperature rise, and how to apply these solutions in different national contexts improvements.
- This course was created before the 2015 United Nations Climate Change Conference – COP21 – in Paris. While the political situation has shifted rapidly, this course provides a solid overview of the science behind climate change.
- Climate Change Science and Negotiations is a single-semester course. Please ignore all references to a second semester.
- Graduate students and advanced undergraduate students in the fields of sustainable development, environmental science, sustainable business, international relations or related fields who are interested in the latest on climate change
- Climate change activists who want a concise overview of the current issues shaping debate and action
- Sustainable development practitioners – as well as private-sector actors, such as corporate sustainability and responsibility groups and those who work in the technology or energy industries – who need to understand key issues and facts about climate change, including emissions targets and emerging regulations
Lo que aprenderásOmitir Lo que aprenderás
- The basics of climate change, energy balance, and emissions
- The 2-degree limit and why it’s important
- The role of nuclear power, electric vehicles, and other technologies
- The process of global negotiations and agreements to regulate climate change
Plan de estudiosOmitir Plan de estudios
- The Challenge of Human Induced Climate Change
- The History of Climate Change Science
- The UNFCCC
- From Kyoto to Copenhagen
- Towards COP21
- The Earth’s Energy Balance
- The Greenhouse Gases and Feedbacks
- The Relentless Ride of CO2
- Other Drivers of Climate Change
- Recent History of Climate Change
- The Business As Usual Trajectory
- The Consequences of the BAU Trajectory
- Limiting the Mean Surface Temperature Increase Below 2-Degrees Celsius vs. Pre-Industrial Levels
- Debates Over the 2-Degree Celsius Limit
- What is a Carbon Budget?
- What is the Global Carbon Budget for the 2-Degree Limit?
- What is the Global Emissions Reduction Pathway for the 2-Degree Limit?
- How Does It Compare with the Potential Emissions from Fossil Fuel Reserves & Resources?
- What is an Energy System?
- Energy-Related CO2 Emissions Trends
- The 3 Pillars of the Deep Decarbonization of Energy Systems
- A Global Mitigation Scenario
- The Need for Accelerated Development of Low-Carbon Technologies
- Key Technology Areas for RDD&D
- Grid Management of Power Systems with High Penetration of Renewable Energies
- Carbon Capture & Sequestration
- Advanced Nuclear Power
- Electric Vehicles and Advanced Biofuels
- The Role of Technology Roadmaps and Roundtables
- Why Countries Need Deep Decarbonization Pathways to 2050
- The Deep Decarbonization Pathways Project
- What We Learn From Countries’ Deep Decarbonization Pathways
- Lessons for the Global Agreement on Climate Change at COP21 in Paris in 2015
- Energy & Poverty
- A World Without Modern Energy
- Energy for All in Africa
- How Climate Change Threatens the Poorest of the Poor
- Sustainable Energy for All
Module 9: Main Challenges of Climate Change Negotiations
- Efficiency & Fairness
- Basic Principles of a Global Agreement
- What is Fair?
- Making an Agreement Stick
- Problem-Solving Versus Negotiating
- The Three-Tiered Structure of Mitigation Commitments
- Technology RDD&D
- Climate Financing
- Can Everybody Win? Should Everybody Win?
- Achieving Large Global Goals
Conoce a tus instructores
Obtén un Certificado Verificado para destacar los conocimientos y las habilidades que adquieras $49.00
Oficial y verificado
Obtén un certificado con la firma del instructor y el logotipo de la institución para demostrar tus logros y aumentar las posibilidades de conseguir trabajo
Fácil de compartir
Agrega el certificado a tu currículum o publícalo directamente en LinkedIn
El certificado te da un motivo más para completar el curso
Apoya nuestra labor
edX, una organización sin fines de lucro, se sustenta con los certificados verificados para financiar la educación gratuita para todo el mundo