Sobre este cursoOmitir Sobre este curso
Whether you’re considering a global health learning experience such as a clinical rotation, a research project, or volunteer work, or are preparing to work abroad, this is the course for you!
This 3-part timeline-based course, designed by a team of global health experts, will help you prepare for successful global health learning experiences. The course provides guidance for undergraduate and graduate students, medical trainees, and volunteers. In each part, you will have the opportunity to learn through interactive scenarios and discussion forums.
In Part 1 ( The Big Picture ), you will learn how to determine whether a global health learning experience is right for you, and if so, what, where, when, and how?
In Part 2 ( Preparation and on the Ground ), you will learn how to prepare for your global health learning experience and gain vital information about being there on-the-ground. You’ll learn how to
arrange logistics, improve your security and cultural awareness and obtain guidance to limit health hazards. You’ll have the opportunity to create an appropriately inclusive yet “light” packing list. You will learn how to identify and manage common situations you may encounter on the ground, including personal and property safety risks, professional, ethical, and cultural issues, and the appropriate use of various modes of communication, including social media.
In Part 3 ( Reflection ), you will learn about “reverse culture shock” upon returning from a global health experience. You will learn how to identify strategies for effectively “reintegrating” into your home and
work life and how to effectively manage potential health issues upon return. In addition, you’ll learn how to effectively advocate for other individuals at your institution to identify clinical opportunities,
educational opportunities and funding structures for future global health experiences.
In May 2017, The Practitioner’s Guide to Global Health course was awarded the following: Global Emergency Medicine Education Award, Global Emergency Medicine Academy, Society of Academic
Emergency Medicine Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL. This award honors a team that has worked to create sustainable education solutions, develop robust educational curriculum or other projects that encourage the growth and development of emergency physicians internationally.
Please note: This course is offered free of charge. Upon successful completion of each part, you will have the option to obtain a Credly(R) badge.
Lo que aprenderásOmitir Lo que aprenderás
- Identify and describe different types of global health rotations and projects and determine which ones provide the best fit for you.
- Identify and make plans to address logistical issues including personal, health, family, financial and security concerns.
- Learn practical strategies for an enriched educational experience to benefit you and your host community.
- Identify and navigate professional, ethical, and cultural issues, as well as medical or mental health issues you may encounter.
- Identify strategies for effectively “reintegrating” into your home and work life upon returning from a global health experience.
- Successfully advocate for other individuals at your institution to identify clinical opportunities, educational opportunities and funding structures for future global health experiences.
Conoce a tus instructores
Obtén un Certificado Verificado para destacar los conocimientos y las habilidades que adquieras$50 USD
Oficial y verificado
Obtén un certificado con la firma del instructor y el logotipo de la institución para demostrar tus logros y aumentar las posibilidades de conseguir trabajo
Fácil de compartir
Agrega el certificado a tu currículum o publícalo directamente en LinkedIn
El certificado te da un motivo más para completar el curso
Apoya nuestra labor
edX, una organización sin fines de lucro, se sustenta con los certificados verificados para financiar la educación gratuita para todo el mundo