Hay una sesión disponible:
Hay una sesión disponible:
The Science and Practice of Sustainable Development
Sobre este cursoOmitir Sobre este curso
This course is part of the Leadership in Global Development MicroMasters program. In order to get the most out of this course, we recommend that you have experience working in the development sector or a strong interest in this area. We also recommend that you complete the other three courses that make up the Leadership in Global Development MicroMasters program: Leaders in Global Development, Adaptive Leadership in Development, and Critical Development Perspectives.
This course introduces the origin and key concepts of sustainability and how to apply those to sustainable development practice.
Sustainable development will be explored through theories and case studies from a range of disciplines, and a particular focus will be on how the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) interrelate in practice. You also will learn about planetary boundaries, urbanisation and growing inequality, to show how integral sustainable development is to our everyday existence.
This course will attempt to provide key content knowledge to bridge the science and the practice of the application and enhancement of sustainable development. The course draws on contemporary examples to address the world's most urgent challenges, with emphasis on the linkages between science and policy.
De un vistazo
- Idioma: English
- Transcripción de video: English
- Programas asociados:
- Programa MicroMasters® en Leadership in Global Development
Lo que aprenderásOmitir Lo que aprenderás
- To be aware of the current international policy landscape for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- To understand the practice and policy of sustainable pathways to development
- To appreciate some of the underpinnings of sustainable development practice and how policy-makers are trying to apply it for better governance of scarce resources
- To gain a deep understanding of the interconnectedness between the SGDs and how they are implicated in practice
- To apply relevant aspects of sustainable development to your own practice as a development leader
- To understand how various attributes of sustainability (environmental, economic and social) can be applied by development practitioners and other stakeholders
- To gain scientific knowledge regarding planetary boundaries processes and their influence on international economic development
All graded assessment will be graded and have insightful feedback for learners to further refine their new knowledge and skills.
Plan de estudiosOmitir Plan de estudios
Module 1 - The History and Politics of Sustainable Development
Module 2 - The Science of Sustainable Development
Module 3 - Introduction to the SDG agenda
Module 4 - Critical Perspectives, Complexity and Indigenous Knowledges
Module 5 - Sustainable Development Goals 17 & 16: Partnerships, finance, technologies and institutions, the frameworks for enabling the SDGs
Module 6 - Sustainable Development Goals 13 & 7: Climate action, affordable and clean energy and the interconnections
Module 7 - Sustainable Development Goals 3, 5 & 6: Health, wellbeing, gender equality and clean water and sanitation
Module 8 - Sustainable Development Goals 1, 2 & 10: No Poverty, zero hunger and reduced inequalities
Module 9 - Sustainable Development Goals 12, 14 & 15: Responsible consumption and production, life below water and life on land
Module 10 - Sustainable Development Goals 8, 9, 4 & 11: Decent work and economic growth, Industry Innovation and Infrastructure, Quality Education and Sustainable Cities and Communities
Testimonios de los estudiantesOmitir Testimonios de los estudiantes
"I loved everything about this course. I learnt a lot about planetary boundaries and best approaches towards sustainable development. "
-- Solange, Rwanda.