Hay una sesión disponible:
Sobre este cursoOmitir Sobre este curso
What is a landscape? How has it evolved? How do we perceive landscapes? What properties are required to make us feel at home?
Are you interested in these topics and want to understand how landscapes function? Then this is the course for you! We will present the discipline of Landscape Ecology, where natural and social sciences meet. You will realize how innovative and collaborative approaches used in Landscape Ecology allow land managers, planners and the public to shape landscapes for future societies.
We will teach you the modern tools of Landscape Ecology enabling you to address fundamental research questions. You will also get valuable practical advice in solving existing real landscape issues.
Leading Landscape Ecology professors will present case studies from around the world, highlighting tools and methods in Landscape Ecology and how they are used to solve environmental problems.
De un vistazo
- Institución: ETHx
- Tema: Estudios medioambientales
- Nivel: Intermediate
- High-school algebra
- Basic knowledge in geograhpic information system (GIS) and statistics (or willingness to invest addintional effort)
- basic knowledge in the field of ecology
- Ability to understand and interpret of maps
- Idioma: English
- Transcripción de video: English
- Habilidades asociadas:Landscaping, Land Management, Social Sciences, Landscape Ecology
Lo que aprenderásOmitir Lo que aprenderás
- Methods for the valuation of landscapes using the ecosystem service paradigm
- How to quantify landscape attributes using landscape metrics
- Methods to assess user conflicts in ecologically sensitive landscapes
- How to use satellite data to detect landscape changes
- Philosophical aspects of landscapes, land ethics and conservation
- Theories of landscape perception and place attachment
- Ecology in the context of urban landscapes
- Statistical analysis with R
- How to work with spatial data and GIS
Plan de estudiosOmitir Plan de estudios
Unit 1 - Landscape Ecology Foundations
This unit introduces you to the definitions and important concepts of Landscape Ecology. It also explores the forces that shape our landscapes.
1.1 Introduction to Landscape Ecology
1.2 Drivers of Landscape Patterns
Unit 2 - Land System Modelling
This unit focuses on quantitative assessments and the modelling of landscapes, mostly from a natural science perspective.
2.1 Theory: Landscape Modelling
2.2 Case Study: Oil Exploration and Rare Plant Conservation
2.3 Theory: Landscape Metrics
2.4 Case Study: The Impacts of Transport Infrastructure in Iran on Wildlife Habitat
2.5 Theory: Remote Sensing
2.6 Case Study:Urbanisationin the Maldives
2.7 Case Study: Snow on Arctic Sea Ice
Unit 3 - Landscape and Society
This unit focuses on the socio-economic aspects of landscape science and the interface between people and the environment.
3.1 Theory: Landscape Perception
3.2 Case study: Renewable Energy and Landscape Conflicts
3.3 Theory: Ecosystem Services and Valuation
3.4 Case study: Land Ethics
3.5 Theory: Urban Ecology and Urban Green Infrastructure
3.6 Case study: Urban Ecology in Bangalore