English Composition: Research and Writing
Sobre este cursoOmitir Sobre este curso
This course is part of ASU's Professional Writing MicroBachelors program. If you complete the two courses that are part of this program with a passing grade, you can earn transferable credit from one of edX's university credit partners.
During the course, you will complete several major writing projects, keep a regular writer's journal, and maintain a writer's website, where you will showcase your work and demonstrate what you have learned. If you wish to earn university credit, we will ask you to complete all assignments.
This writing course introduces students to discourse, research, and research writing for the purpose of proposing solutions to problems. Rather than learning about these subjects in the abstract, students will learn by engaging with local problems and issues in their communities. To achieve this, students will learn how to:
- develop an actionable central research question;
- propose a research project;
- conduct primary and secondary research;
- compose an action-oriented research project for web publication; and
- design an academic poster project for research sharing.
By engaging with local questions and problems, students will have the opportunity to enter into important discussions and possibly create meaningful changes in the lives of those around them. Students will create a digital portfolio that enables them to publish and share their research and writing.
This course will interest individuals who want to learn more about how to create change in the world through research and writing. It will also interest those who want to learn how to compose for a digital medium.
If you are enrolled in the verified track (paid track) in any course that is a part of a MicroBachelors program, including this course, you are eligible for coaching at no additional cost. Please note that coaching is only available via SMS to U.S. phone lines.
Our coaches (real humans) are ready to help you with career exploration, navigating resources, staying motivated, and solving problems along the way to your goals.
Learn more about the value of coaching directly from one of our coaches, Erin.
De un vistazo
- Institución: ASUx
- Tema: Comunicaciones
- Nivel: Introductory
Proficiency in English
To be adequately prepared for this course, a recommended prerequisite course is ENG 101 English Composition. At some institutions, students should take ENG 101 before ENG 102 to ensure that the course credits will transfer. Please check with your institution prior to enrolling.
- Idioma: English
- Transcripción de video: English
- Programas asociados:
- Programa MicroBachelors en Professional Writing
- Habilidades asociadas:Research Design, Action Oriented, Secondary Research, Professional Writing, Written Composition, Writing, Research
Lo que aprenderásOmitir Lo que aprenderás
- Rhetorical Knowledge: how to craft your writing to meet the needs of specific audiences for specific purposes
- Critical Thinking: how to make decisions about what to include and not include in your writing
- Writing Processes: how to use invention, research, drafting, revising, and editing in your writing
- Knowledge of Conventions: how to use various formats and stylistic choices, including genre conventions
- Digital Technology: how to use diverse technologies to write more effectively and efficiently
Testimonios de los estudiantesOmitir Testimonios de los estudiantes
"I think the course content is much relevant for my requirement. The course has qualified instructors and moreover they are representing the academic staff of the Arizona State University. Thus, I hope the journey through this course would provide me a unforgettable experience. Hoping to enjoy the pleasure of learning soon." Nishani Rathnayake
" The instructors are highly qualified, so I have high expectations about this course.This is a unique English course because we will directly learn about the power and pleasures of writing. By engaging with local questions and problems, we will have the opportunity to enter into important discussions and possibly create meaningful changes in the lives of those around us. We will create a digital portfolio that enables them to publish and share their research and writing. " Muhammad Ramzan Kalhoro