About this courseSkip About this course
You will look at ways to improve utilization by using containers with the Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS), caching services such as Amazon CloudFront and Amazon ElastiCache, and monitoring tools such as Amazon CloudWatch. You will look at serverless architectures using Amazon DynamoDB, Amazon API Gateway and, AWS Lambda. You will explore the AWS Command Line Interface (CLI), AWS Identity and Access Management (IAM) and learn how to use the AWS Key Management Service (KMS). You will finish off the class with a deep dive into AWS CloudFormation and a capstone exercise where you will debug a CloudFormation template.
This course has a significant hands-on component. Throughout the class, you will perform exercises using the AWS services covered.
Class discussions will provide an opportunity for you to interact with fellow students as well as AWS training staff.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- How to use AWS Container Services
- How to improve application performance through techniques such as caching
- How to optimize your applications by using serverless technologies and autoscaling.
- How to use content distribution to improve the end-user experience
- How to use the AWS Command Line Interface (CLI)
- How to encrypt data at rest and in transit using the AWS Key Management Service
Welcome to Optimizing on AWS
- Meet the instructors
- Discussion: Introduce yourself
- Exercise 1.0 Set up an AWS Account (if needed)
- Introduction to Containers
- Elastic Container Service (ECS)/Elastic Container Registry (ECR)
- Exercise 1.1: Your first Docker Container
- Exercise 1.2 Elastic Container Registry
Static Websites using S3
- Amazon CloudFront
- Exercise 2.1: Building a static website
- Amazon Elasticache
- Exercise 2.2: Amazon Elasticache
What is Serverless?
- Amazon DynamoDB
- Exercise 3.1 Create and populate and table in Amazon DynamoDB
- API Gateway
- Exercise 3.2 – Your first serverless application
- Amazon EC2/Amazon ECS Autoscaling
- Scaling Databases
- Exercise 4.1- Scaling our serverless application
- Exercise 4.2 – Using metrics to scale
Identity and Access Management
- IAM Policies
- IAM Roles
- Introduction to the AWS CLI
- Exercise 5.1 – IAM and CLI
- AWS Key Management Service (KMS)
- Exercise 5.2 – KMS
Optimizing Infrastructure as Code
- Revisiting AWS CloudFormation
- • Exercise 6.1-- CloudFormation Template
- Exercise 6.2 – The Recap Challenge
Couse Wrap up
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$149.00
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
Frequently asked questions
A. Learners can register for the course in an Audit track or Verified Certificate track. The Audit track is free, but limits the duration of access to 6 weeks from registration. The Verified Certificate track costs $149 and provides full access to course content for the duration. Please visit edx.org for more information.
In addition to course registration costs, this course provides optional hands-on exercises which may have an associated charge in your AWS account. Please familiarize yourself with the AWS Free Tier at aws.amazon.com/free/.
Please note that the AWS Free Tier also has a limit on the amount of resources that you can consume before you begin accruing charges. If you perform these hands-on exercises, there is a chance you may incur charges on your AWS account. Please visit the AWS Free Tier page for more information.
Q. Do I need a credit card to create an AWS Account?
A. Yes, you will need a credit card to activate your AWS account.
Q. How much time will this course require?
A. If following the weekly schedule, learners should plan to spend 2-4 hours per week on this course. However, learners may complete the course at their own pace.
Q. Will I receive a certificate for this course?
A. Learners enrolled in the Verified Certificate path will receive a certificate upon successful completion of the course.
Q. What is the grading policy for this course?
A. All learners may take weekly quizzes, which are not graded and allow unlimited retries.
Learners in the Verified Certificate track are able to take the final course assessment in the course. Passing the final assessment is required to obtain the Verified Certificate.
Learners in the Audit track will not have access to the final assessment, and will not be able to earn a certificate.
Q. How are discussions used in this course?
A. This course has discussion groups aligned to each week of the course. We encourage learners to ask questions or offer suggestions and feedback. AWS Instructors will monitor the discussion groups to answer questions specific to the exercises and topics covered in the course.
Q. Will this course help me prepare for an AWS Certification?
A. Earning an AWS Certification typically requires both knowledge and experience. While this course, if taken in isolation, will provide you with relevant information and skills, it likely will not equip you to earn an AWS Certification. For more information about AWS Certifications, including recommended training and experience requirements, visit aws.amazon.com/certification.