Lo que aprenderás
- A new perspective for design and operational decision making at all levels of manufacturing, in the context of volume manufacturing, where rate, quality, cost and flexibility are the key metrics
- How to operate and control unit processes to ensure maximum quality using basic and advanced statistical and feedback control methods
- How to design and operate systems of processes with optimal capacity, resilience and inventory
- How to design and operate optimal supply chain systems
- The financial underpinnings of a manufacturing enterprise, including new ventures
Develop the fundamental skills needed for global excellence in manufacturing and competitiveness with the Principles of Manufacturing MicroMasters Credential, designed and delivered by MIT’s #1-world ranked Mechanical Engineering department.
This program provides students with a fundamental basis for understanding and controlling rate, quality and cost in a manufacturing enterprise.
The Principles of Manufacturing are a set of elements common to all manufacturing industries that revolve around the concepts of flow and variations. These principles have emerged from working closely with manufacturing industries at both the research and operational levels.
Targeted towards graduate-level engineers, product designers, and technology developers with an interest in a career in advanced manufacturing, the program will help learners understand and apply these principles to product and process design, factory and supply chain design, and factory operations.
This curriculum focusses on the analysis, characterization and control of flow and variation at different levels of the enterprise through the following subject areas:
- Unit Process Variation and Control: Modeling and controlling temporal and spatial variation in unit processes
- Factory Level System Variation and Control: Modeling and controlling flows in manufacturing systems with stochastic elements and inputs.
- Supply Chain – System Variation and Control: How to operate and design optimal manufacturing-centered supply chains.
- Business Flows: Understanding the uses and flow of business information to start up, scale up and operate a manufacturing facility.
Cursos en este programa
Principles of Manufacturing Programa MicroMasters® de MITx
- Inicia el Aug 25, 202010–12 horas por semana durante 8 semanas
Learn how to model variations in manufacturing processes and develop methods to reduce and control deterministic variations to achieve consistent process quality.
- Inicia el Oct 20, 202010–12 horas por semana durante 8 semanas
Learn about manufacturing systems and ways to analyze them in terms of material flow and storage, information flow, capacities, and times and durations of events, especially random events.
- Inicia el Jan 12, 202110–12 horas por semana durante 8 semanas
Experience what it is like to manage within an engineering enterprise. Develop the business skills you need to take on the variety of challenges facing managers in the field.
This course was formerly known as Management in Engineering I.
- Inicia el Mar 9, 202110–12 horas por semana durante 9 semanas
Learn about effective supply chain strategies for companies that operate globally, with emphasis on how to plan and integrate supply chain components into a coordinated system.
This course was formerly known as Supply Chains for Manufacturing I.
- Inicia el Oct 20, 202010–12 horas por semana durante 8 semanas
Learn how to control process variation, including methods to design experiments that capture process behavior and understand means to control variability.
- Inicia el Aug 18, 202010–12 horas por semana durante 9 semanas
Learn about various models, methods and software tools to help make better decisions for system design in manufacturing systems and supply chains..
This course was formerly known as Supply Chains for Manufacturing II.
- Inicia el Jan 12, 202110–12 horas por semana durante 9 semanas
Learn how to analyze manufacturing systems to optimize performance and control costs and better understand the flow of material and information.
- Inicia el Aug 11, 202010–12 horas por semana durante 8 semanas
Analyze challenging real-life business cases that engineering managers face on a variety of topics. Apply management tools and relevant skills to manage innovation.
This course was formerly known as Management in Engineering II
How To Earn The MicroMasters Credential
Complete and successfully earn a Verified Certificate in all 8 courses, which includes 4 virtually-proctored exams. The exams take place within the final 4 courses (offered Fall 2018).
Take Your Credential To The Next Level
Combine your MicroMasters Credential with on-campus work at MIT to earn a Master of Engineering in Advanced Manufacturing and Design degree. Learners who earn a Principles of Manufacturing MicroMasters Credential may apply to the Advanced Manufacturing and Design program, and upon acceptance, would be credited 48 academic units (equivalent to approximately 1/3 of the full degree program and 1 semester on campus).
Bethel University (St. Paul, MN, USA) will offer those who have earned the MicroMasters program credential in Principles of Manufacturing 12 credits toward the 42 total credits in the Master of Business Administration (MBA) program if they are accepted for admission.
Covenant University (Nigeria) will offer the credential holders of the MicroMasters program in Principles of Manufacturing the possibility of earning 18 credits towards the completion of the master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.
Galileo University (Guatemala) will offer the credential holders of the MicroMasters program in Principles of Manufacturing the possibility of earning an equivalent of one year of the total graduate credits towards the completion of the Master’s degree in Reengineering and Technologies for Quality Assurance or the Master’s degree in Mechatronics.
The Holy Spirit University of Kaslik (USEK) will offer the credential holders of the MITx MicroMasters program in Principles of Manufacturing the possibility of earning 15 of the total graduate credits towards the completion of the Master’s degree in Industrial Process Engineering.
Kangwon National University (KNU) will offer the credential holders of the MITx MicroMasters program in Principles of Manufacturing the possibility of earning 12 of the total graduate credits towards the completion of the 14 Master’s degree programs under their Graduate School of Industry, excluding the Design major.
Laweh Open University College (Ghana) will offer the credential holders of the MITx MicroMasters program in Principles of Manufacturing the possibility of earning 40 credits out of the total 66 credits towards the completion of MBA Procurement and Supply Chain Management program.
Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) will also offer a pathway for credit for MITx MicroMasters credential holders in Principles of Manufacturing towards the completion of RIT’s Master of Science in Professional Studies.
RMIT University (Australia) will grant academic credit towards a Master of Engineering Management for learners who successfully earn a MITx MicroMasters credential in the MITx MicroMasters program in Principles of Manufacturing.
The School of Business at Royal Roads University (Canada) will offer credential holders of the MIT MicroMasters program in Principles of Manufacturing the possibility of earning nine of the total graduate credits towards the completion of a Masters of Business Administration in Executive Management.
Sasin School of Management - Chulalongkorn University (Thailand) will offer the credential holders of the MITx MicroMasters in Principles of Manufacturing the possibility of earning 6 credits of the total 66 graduate credits towards the completion of the Sasin MBA.
- Exciting career opportunities in positions such as Manufacturing Engineer, Supply Chain Engineer, Design Engineer, Product Engineering, Product Development Engineer (Source: MIT Mechanical Engineering department)
- Mean salary ranges of $70,000-95,000 (U.S. only; source: Indeed.com)
- The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects employment of industrial engineers to grow 10% from 2016 to 2026, faster than the average for all occupations. (all occupations = 7%).
- The growth rate of new manufacturing firms is at its fastest pace since 1993. (source: U.S. Census, Business Dynamics Statistics)
- 100% of graduates from MIT’s Masters of Engineering in Advanced Manufacturing & Design program are successfully employed within 6 months of completion
Conoce a tus instructores
Expertos de MITx comprometidos con el aprendizaje en línea
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this program: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this program in all locations. EdX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.