Research & Pedagogy
Working with our xConsortium of university partners, edX is empowering research on pedagogy or learning about learning.
The online environment provides a powerful platform to conduct experiments, exploring how students learn and how faculty can best teach using a variety of novel tools and techniques.
Fundamental questions include:
- What motivates students to learn and persist?
- What helps students retain knowledge?
- What are the best ways to teach complex ideas?
- How can we assess what students have learned?
- What is best taught in person vs. online?
By carefully assessing course data, from mouse clicks to time spent on tasks, to evaluating how students respond to various assessments, researchers hope to shed light on how learners access information and master materials, with the ultimate aim of improving course outcomes.
We are not only expanding access to knowledge, but developing best practices to enhance the student experience and improve teaching and learning both on campus and online.
Below you will find a sampling of research papers authored by our xConsortium partners: