About this courseSkip About this course
Water distribution networks are crucial for supplying water for residential areas, hospitals, educational institutions, industrial zones, commercial areas, and for firefighting purposes.
In this course, we will:
Review fluid properties, and fundamental hydraulics principles leading to continuity equation, energy and momentum equations. Review energy grade lines, and hydraulic grade lines.
- Quantify flows through pipes and learn to design simple water distribution networks. Topics such as major and minor energy loss computations in pipe networks, and role of reservoirs, tanks, pumps, etc. in network design will be covered. MS Excel and pipe-network analysis software such as EPANET will be used to analyze pipe networks of varying complexities. Learning assessments will enable students to perform steady-state as well as extended period analyses of water distribution networks.
- Select combinations of pumps to meet design needs of flow demands and pressures in water distribution networks during regular, peak, and fire demands. Develop system curves, obtain operating points for pumps, account for cavitation in pumps, analyze single pumps, multiple pumps in series and parallel, and design and select pumps. A project will provide hands-on experience in the design and selection of pumps for water distribution network.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Analyze and design water distribution networks
- Select and size pumps for simple water distribution system
- Identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems
- Week 1: Introduction, review of continuity, momentum and energy equations
- Week 2: Friction and minor loss expressions, flow through single pipes, pipes in series and parallel
- Week 3: Pipes networks
- Week 4: Pump definitions, system and pump curves, operating points, and affinity laws
- Week 5: Pump design and selection, pump systems
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$750 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
edX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
Who can take this course?
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this course: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this course in all locations. edX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.