Applying Strategic Leadership in Education
About this courseSkip About this course
This course will explore the practices and philosophies of effective strategic leaders and guide you in applying these techniques into your own practice.
We will study how school leaders work strategically to develop organisations that are driven towards a clear shared vision, with motivated staff, engaged students, and a supportive school community. You will be encouraged to study leadership in your own workplace and find out how leadership impacts on learning.
You will reflect on your own leadership strengths and opportunities and develop a 21 day plan for personal leadership growth.
This course is aimed at school teachers in leadership roles who are looking to advance their career as a:
- head teacher
- assistant or deputy principal
- organisational leader
- or in educational policy or advisory roles.
This course certificate offers 12 hours of high-quality professional development for current and aspiring leaders. It may be used by participants to apply in their school systems for professional learning credit.
At a glance
- Institution: NewcastleX
- Subject: Education & Teacher Training
- Level: Intermediate
A minimum two years leadership experience in schools (team leader, department head, head teacher, lead teacher, deputy principal or principal) or equivalent in other related industries is preferable but not necessary.
- Language: English
- Video Transcript: English
- Associated programs:
- Professional Certificate in Leadership and Management in Education
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Analyse and critique strategic leadership practices and philosophies of current and former organisational leaders
- Apply and assess strategic leadership insights in your professional practice.
- Identify processes and practices to further develop personal leadership capacity by incorporating knowledge from leaders studied in the course.
- Understanding the behaviours of effective leaders.
- A review of ‘Bringing the Good Weather’
- Analysing observations from educational organisation leaders along the ‘Bringing the Good Weather’ capacities
- Applying research on leadership
- Using the ‘Bringing the Good Weather' framework to conduct field work
- Interviews with organisation leaders to gain insights in areas of needed growth
- Developing your plan for capacity building. Synthesising insights from interviews into a 21-day action plan for your own leadership development.
Learner testimonialsSkip Learner testimonials
"There is a beauty in online learning when done right. NewcastleX did just that. With a mixture of great readings, principal interviews, discussions and assessments. We get to learn not only from Newcastle's best instructors, but peers as well. I am thankful for this experience."
- past EDLMx2 student