About this course
In a two-course series, we will teach you automated software testing in an inspiring way. We will show you that testing is not as daunting a task as you might think, and how automated testing will make you a better developer who programs excellent software.
This second course builds upon the first course's material. It covers more advanced tools and techniques and their applications. Key topics include state-based and web testing, combinatorial testing, mutation testing, and property-based testing.
This is a highly practical course. Throughout the lessons, you will test various programs by means of different techniques. By the end, you will be able to choose the best testing strategies for different projects..
If you are or want to become a five-star software developer, QA engineer, or software tester, join this course. Testing will never be the same again!
What you'll learn
- The key ideas behind advanced software testing techniques, such as mutation and property-based testing
- The current state-of-the-art in software testing research, such as the usage of artificial intelligence to automate testing activities
- The limitations of current testing techniques, and how to determine the best testing strategies for a given context
- Create decision tables to represent complex decisions of your software.
- Apply different coverage criteria in the decision table to generate test cases.
- Devise state machines that represent the software system (e.g., web systems) and use them to generate test cases.
- Apply different coverage criteria to generate test cases that cover different paths of the system.
- Understand what pre-conditions, post-conditions, and invariants are, and how to design them in your software system.
- Use these contracts to test your software from the “inside out”
Topic 4: Mutation testing
- Understand the key ideas behind mutation testing.
- Apply mutation testing in software systems and discover what parts of your software are not tested enough.
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain $99.00
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
The course materials of this course are Copyright Delft University of Technology and are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (CC-BY-NC-SA) 4.0 International License.
Who can take this course?
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this course: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this course in all locations. EdX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.