About this course
Join this course if you want to advance your career and get the latest academic knowledge on creating a more sustainable biobased future.
After this course, you will have an improved understanding of other relevant disciplines, and be able to better communicate outside of your own field of expertise in chemistry or technology. You will get a solid foundation of relevant concepts in the biobased economy and biobased products such as:
- An introduction to biobased sciences
- Achieving sustainability
- Consumer behaviour
- Logistics and supply chains
- Economics and regulations
Explore the other courses in the MicroMasters programme:
- Biorefinery: From Biomass to Building Blocks of Biobased Products; Design new (bio)catalytic conversion routes to use biobased feedstocks to their highest potential
- Catalytic Conversions for Biobased Chemicals and Products; Design new (bio)catalytic conversion routes to use biobased feedstocks to their highest potential
- Capstone - Final project and exam (only available to learners who have obtained a verified certificate in all other courses of the MicroMasters).
What you'll learn
- Understand the concept and importance of the biobased economy and the value of biobased products;
- Assess sustainability issues for a given biobased case;
- Decide how to implement a consumer point of view during the development of a biobased product;
- Understand commercial, financial and organizational aspects of running a biobased business;
- Understand the complexity of logistics of biobased value chains;
- Identify and qualitatively assess the major economic implications of different kind of regulations for the future of the biobased economy.
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain $149.00
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
-- Wageningen University & Research Alumni
Frequently asked questions
No, but it does contain materials from that course, especially modules 3 and 5. The course 'Biobased Principles and Opportunities will not be available in the future anymore.
Is this the same course as 'Biobased Processes and Implementation'?
No, but it does contain materials from that course, espcially modules 3, 4 and 5. The course 'Biobased Processes & Implementation will not be available in the future anymore.
Who can take this course?
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this course: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this course in all locations. EdX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.