Leaders in Citizen Security and Justice Management
About this courseSkip About this course
The high rates of crime and violence are two of the main challenges that affect the citizens of Latin America and the Caribbean. That is why the public policies of citizen security are prioritized in the agendas of the governments of the region. To improve the effectiveness of these policies, it is essential to have an informed civil society making sure that social rights are respected and that the rule of law is fulfilled under a regime of democratic governance. Hence the importance of making this material available to the general public, which allows knowing both the theoretical concepts and what is currently being done in practice in terms of the implementation of citizen security and justice policies in the region.
In particular, the course provides applied knowledge and technical tools for the design, implementation, and evaluation of programs aimed at strengthening the different links that make up the criminal justice system: prevention of crime and violence; crime deterrence; law enforcement; crime judicialization and social rehabilitation of prisoners.
It is expected that this course will create awareness among public officials, authorities, academics, journalists, civil society and the public interested in citizen security and justice issues in Latin America and the Caribbean, on the intersectoral nature of policies that seek to improve the services of social prevention of violence, police, prosecutor’s offices, and prisons.
The course was jointly designed by the IDB and the consortium of universities of Chile, John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York and FADISMA in Brasil.
This course is "self-paced" so you can enroll at any time, even if the course has been open for a while. You can take it at the time that is most suitable for you inside the enrolment period of the course.
If you opt for the Audit track, you could complete the course free and have 10 weeks to take the course from the day you subscribed.
If you opt for the Verified track , you can access the course in an unlimited way and complete the qualified evaluations until the closing date, (Jan 18th, 2022), after making a payment of $25 . If you pass, in addition to the verified certificate, you will obtain a digital badge *that allows you to change the way you share your academic and professional achievements, as for example, on social media.
*Did you know there is a financial aid to opt for the verified certificate?
1. Do you know that 77% of our certificate students affirm that our MOOCs helped them when they were looking for a job? Complete 80% of the course and get your IDBx scholarship to obtain your verified certificate and digital badge for free!
2. edX financial help: edX offers financial assistance for learners who want to earn Verified Certificates but who may not be able to pay the Verified Certificate fee. Subscribe to the course and apply for financial assistance.
See more information in the Frequently Asked Questions section below.
At a glance
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- The main theoretical and conceptual frameworks of crime, violence and prevention.
- Key elements for effective and efficient institutional management based on data.
- Prevention models of youth violence and violence against women.
- Key elements for police reform and modernization.
- Alternatives policies for criminal justice and social reintegration.
About the instructors
Frequently Asked QuestionsSkip Frequently Asked Questions
What does “AUDIT TRACK” mean?
The audit track access to the course is free and you have 10 weeks to take the course from the day you subscribed.
What does “VERIFIED TRACK” mean?
If you want to obtain the verified certificate of the course, you should opt for the verified mode, which costs 25 USD, perform the edX identity verification process and achieve a final grade of 65% or more.
This way, in addition to the approval certificate, verified with your personal information, you will have access to all the course’s evaluations, and you will be able to consult the learning resources indefinitely. If you pass this course with 65%, you will also receive a digital badge that allows you to change the way you share your academic and professional achievements, as for example, on social media.
How can I apply for the IDBx scholarship to obtain the verified certificate and digital badge?
If you complete 80% of the course and meet specific demographic or needs-based requirements, you can get an IDBx scholarship to obtain your verified certificate and digital badge that have a value of 25 USD, free of charge.
To receive your scholarship you must follow these steps:
1. Complete 80% of the course and meet specific demographic or needs-based requirements you will receive an email to redeem your coupon on the platform and change your course mode to the certified. Keep an eye on your inbox!
2. The coupon expires 15 days after receiving the email with your coupon to redeem.