About this course
Make a Right Choice in Your Life
If you are reading this page, it shows that you are interested to know more about this MOOC. But why? To upgrade your knowledge-base or satisfy your curiosity? To enhance thinking skills? To give advice to your clients in counselling or health care contexts? Or simply feeling that this is the rightchoice for you?
But what counts as a right choice in the first place? This question is important for anyone who wants to have or show others how to have a successful life ahead. It can be answered only in a broader context where you spell out a positive outlook on life.
Learn Great Ideas from Three Famous Masters by Reading Comics
This course aims to answer that key question. It introduces three influential conceptions of a successful life: happiness, duty and consequence. You will learn these ideas from three famous masters: Aristotle, Kant and Mill. These ideas help you understand many of the hidden assumptions of your own and other people’s outlooks on life. We illustrate these great masters’ ideas through a series of comics. And you can compare your views with the global learners through poll questions.
Identify a Successful Outlook on Life by Reflecting on Different Life and Death Situations
After benefitting from the great masters’ insights, you will have the opportunity to apply the ideas to challenging life and death situations. They include the questions on your choice of personal identity, conception of love and decisions on life and death situations. A micro-movie on a particular life and death situation, featuring Hong Kong local actors and actresses, will illustrate a soul-searching case-study as well. It will move you to tears and yet help clarify your understanding of what a successful outlook on life is.
An Award-Winning MOOC for Laypersons and Professionals
This is 2.0 of the course on life and death. The 1.0 version has scooped praises from authentic global learners, and, upon its launching, received the prestigious prize Top Ten Most Popular MOOCs in November 2017awarded by the Class Central, USA. Learners have include the general laypersons as well as health care and counselling professionals. This 2.0 version is built on the success of the previous version with new exciting elements.
What you'll learn
- Three outlooks on a successful life by three great masters: Aristotle, Kant and Mill
- Practical thinking skills for different life and death situations
- Effective all-round thinking
- Aristotle – Happiness
- Kant – Duty
- Mill – Consequence
Part 2: Reflections on Life Situations
- Who are you?
- How to love?
- How to make life decisions?
- How to make death decisions?
- A real job interview question for you: If you did something slightly immoral for your company, you would save it from closing down. Would you do it for the company if you were asked by the CEO, who promised job promotion to you?
Part 3: Conclusion
- What makes your life successful for you?
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain $50.00
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
- A well-designed course, and a must-take course of the year!!!
- It's amazingly well organized and very thought provoking. I appreciate this work and encourage everyone to take a chance to learn from it.
- As a veteran of over 200 MOOCs I must say it is very well organised and the ebook is a really worthwhile resource not only for this course but as a reference book beyond the course. It is obvious that a lot of work and effort went into producing the MOOC.
- For the course e-book, I find it very handy and useful for me to run through the course, with great and thought-provoking content inside. Nicely-made!!
- It is a creative way to address questions raised by the course.
- This is great stuff!!!
- The course content is well-chosen
- Excellent video clips!!!
- The game cards … give a chance for learners to think about deep questions.