About this courseSkip About this course
If you have specific questions about this course, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org.
Machine learning methods are commonly used across engineering and sciences, from computer systems to physics. Moreover, commercial sites such as search engines, recommender systems (e.g., Netflix, Amazon), advertisers, and financial institutions employ machine learning algorithms for content recommendation, predicting customer behavior, compliance, or risk.
As a discipline, machine learning tries to design and understand computer programs that learn from experience for the purpose of prediction or control.
In this course, students will learn about principles and algorithms for turning training data into effective automated predictions. We will cover:
- Representation, over-fitting, regularization, generalization, VC dimension;
- Clustering, classification, recommender problems, probabilistic modeling, reinforcement learning;
- On-line algorithms, support vector machines, and neural networks/deep learning.
Students will implement and experiment with the algorithms in several Python projects designed for different practical applications.
This course is part of theMITx MicroMasters Program in Statistics and Data Science. Master the skills needed to be an informed and effective practitioner of data science. You will complete this course and three others from MITx, at a similar pace and level of rigor as an on-campus course at MIT, and then take a virtually-proctored exam to earn your MicroMasters, an academic credential that will demonstrate your proficiency in data science or accelerate your path towards an MIT PhD or a Master's at other universities. To learn more about this program, please visit https://micromasters.mit.edu/ds/.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Understand principles behind machine learning problems such as classification, regression, clustering, and reinforcement learning
- Implement and analyze models such as linear models, kernel machines, neural networks, and graphical models
- Choose suitable models for different applications
- Implement and organize machine learning projects, from training, validation, parameter tuning, to feature engineering.
- Linear classifiers, separability, perceptron algorithm
- Maximum margin hyperplane, loss, regularization
- Stochastic gradient descent, over-fitting, generalization
- Linear regression
- Recommender problems, collaborative filtering
- Non-linear classification, kernels
- Learning features, Neural networks
- Deep learning, back propagation
- Recurrent neural networks
- Recurrent neural networks
- Generalization, complexity, VC-dimension
- Unsupervised learning: clustering
- Generative models, mixtures
- Mixtures and the EM algorithm
- Learning to control: Reinforcement learning
- Reinforcement learning continued
- Applications: Natural Language Processing
- Automatic Review Analyzer
- Digit Recognition with Neural Networks
- Reinforcement Learning
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$300 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
Frequently asked questions
Should you have further inquiries, go to micromasters.mit.edu/ds and use the "Contact us" button.
Who can take this course?
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this course: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this course in all locations. EdX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.